Ok, so I went and did it now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is a Nickel Boron Fail Zero BCG. Visually, all I could tell was that it just dented the rim of the key, after dropped on a tile floor from about 4 ft. The gas tube would no longer fit in.

The tapered nail set and a few taps with a small hammer seems to have rounded it back out, seems enough at least. Hope it wasn't too much. Fairly stout metal. Only a trip to Snake Creek will tell the results.

Thanks for the ideas and input guys.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m no gunsmith, but any other staking in the world that I know of can just be done with a punch and hammer. Just gotta make sure you deform the metal enough to lock the fastener in place.
Yes, ^^^^ a common center punch and a light tap with a hammer and it’s a done deal.
Doesn’t take much.
I built an AR years ago on the cheap because I wanted to know how cheap one could be built.
Bought mostly used stuff when DPMS AR’s were selling high dollar during the obummer years.
The only thing bought new was a BCG. It came with the gas tube unstaked.
So it was left as bought. Have no clue who it was bought from anymore and wanted to see when it would come loose.
Thousands of rounds later since that time, it’s still secure. Suspect it was thread locked in place with loc-tite.
I would never advocate not staking one knowing how heat and cooling, expansion and contraction can work on mechanical devices. This rifle never got abused nor submitted to extreme heat by sustained fire. It was a range rifle that has shot very well.

LesEldre

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
When I need a pin or punch I use transfer punches. They can be cut to length as needed. They are available in metric or SAE sizes. I bought mine at Wholesale Tool in Tulsa but they are available online or at Harbor Freight. They are cheap and can save the day when something went wrong.

Vomar

Marksman
Reaction score
The guys above are correct; a common center punch will stake those screws as well as any of the expensive doodads will.

Sounds like you got it fixed anyway, but if not, Bring me the whole rifle, the new key, and a handful of the ammo that you use. I'll do the installation and range test it with your rifle and ammo for $15.00

That's probably over charging, but I have to drive to the range, and gas is not cheap:)

I am an FFL in Del City.

Latest posts

Top Bottom