Update - It's Finished

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
(If you came back due to the title change, reference post 27 to see the completed watch.)

I'm working on my first dual register chronograph, a Seiko 6138-0010 'UFO' from May of 1970. It got it all taken down this evening and found the reason why the hour recorder would not reset. It had a broken arm in the reset linkage (as seen in the lower right side of the 2nd image). Someone has been in this watch before me and has absolutely drenched everything in oil. The process of scrubbing everything by hand is about to begin, and then a few trips through the cleaning machine will be in order.

1672028579288.png

1672028588374.png

I'm not documenting each stage of this rebuild like I've done previously. I wanted to give this my full attention and not be distracted by trying to remember to document each thing as I go for the purpose of a future write-up. This is my 2nd chronograph, and first dual register. I'm pretty comfortable with the mechanics at this point, and I'll document the next one on my bench, which will be one of my all time favorite watches. A correct Seiko 6139-6005 'Resist'. This is the exact same model watch as worn by Colonel William R. Pogue in the NASA Skylab mission of 1973. It was the first automatic chronograph watch ever worn in space. Seiko made several models that looked like this with the same color dial and bezel combination. All are referred to as Pogue's, but mine is the same exact model as what Col. Pogue wore - 6139-6005 "Resist" - and is known as the 'True Pogue'. It's a grail watch of mine and I'll document it for the forum. It's a really special one.

Last edited:

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on my first dual register chronograph, a Seiko 6138-0010 'UFO' from May of 1970. It got it all taken down this evening and found the reason why the hour recorder would not reset. It had a broken arm in the reset linkage (as seen in the lower right side of the 2nd image). Someone has been in this watch before me and has absolutely drenched everything in oil. The process of scrubbing everything by hand is about to begin, and then a few trips through the cleaning machine will be in order.

View attachment 332649
View attachment 332650

I'm not documenting each stage of this rebuild like I've done previously. I wanted to give this my full attention and not be distracted by trying to remember to document each thing as I go for the purpose of a future write-up. This is my 2nd chronograph, and first dual register. I'm pretty comfortable with the mechanics at this point, and I'll document the next one on my bench, which will be one of my all time favorite watches. A correct Seiko 6139-6005 'Resist'. This is the exact same model watch as worn by Colonel William R. Pogue in the NASA Skylab mission of 1973. It was the first automatic chronograph watch ever worn in space. Seiko made several models that looked like this with the same color dial and bezel combination. All are referred to as Pogue's, but mine is the same exact model as what Col. Pogue wore - 6139-6005 "Resist" - and is known as the 'True Pogue'. It's a grail watch of mine and I'll document it for the forum. It's a really special one.
love to have that one! couldn't wear it though id ruin it.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, what does "resist" mean?
I was going to type up this long winded explanation, but while googling for a couple pictures for reference I cam across an article that explains in much better than I could. I'll post it below:

Watches until 1970 were branded ‘waterproof’ on the case back and sometimes also on the dial. This was the normal nomenclature for that time to describe the imperviousness of the watch to water. In 1969, the US government passed a law that required watches to be described more accurately as ‘water resistant’ rather than the technically incorrect ‘waterproof’.

Compliance was required by 1972, and so beginning in 1970, Seiko started changing all of their watches to comply with the new legislation. Watches from 1970 are typically found to be proof/proof, meaning that they have waterproof on the dial and/or the case back.

1672101741816.png

Watches from 1971 are typically resist/resist meaning that they have ‘water resist’ written on the dial and/or case back. In fact, the case backs have the complete ‘water resistant’ text while the dials have the shorter ‘resist’ text, presumably to avoid significant layout changes associated with the longer ‘resistant’ text. Of course, as with most things vintage, the rules are never clear cut. There are 1970/71 transitional watches that may have a mismatch of both phraseology and some models lost all references to water resistance from their dials. Additionally, because the legislation was specifically for the US market, Seiko changed those watches first. They did eventually change all their watches to comply with the US legislation but some domestic lines did not change over until 1972.

1672101779103.png

So to sum up, there is no difference mechanically, but it's just a change to the wording used on the watches to comply with US law so they could import their watches. It's a cool bit of history, and for Seiko nuts, they use it as part of authenticating a watch's originality, etc. Depending on the watch, like my 6139-6005 Pogue mentioned earlier, it can add a good bit of value.

Last edited:

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The new year is off to a good start. I got my first dual register chronograph fully rebuilt. It is now running in on the timegrapher, and I'll take a look at the numbers after about 18-24 hours. It got a new mainspring, I removed the steel bushing in the bridge for the upper barrel arbor port and set in a jewel in it's place. I also was able to sort out and repair the hour recording wheel quick reset. This thing was originally covered in oil and bits of rust. I'm happy to see how well it cleaned up.

I still have a lot of work to do on the case, dial, etc. before the watch is finished, but the hard part is behind me now.

Before:
1672556895871.png

After (don't have the automatic assembly installed yet - not needed for testing):
1672556257819.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom