Worms in deer backstrap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife was cutting up a backstrap for my youngest daughter to take home and asked me to come look at it it had little holes in it and I cut it at the hole and you could tell something had burrowed in it I looked it up and the net said it wasn’t uncommon and not dangerous to humans I cut those sections out but it looks like I’m the only one that will be eating it
IMG_6602.jpeg
IMG_6603.jpeg

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The "holes" look like cross sections of blood vessels to me. I am a pathologist and had forgotten that deer "muscle worms" exist. Some keyboarding led to their likely name "Parelaphostrongylus andersoni", which sounds like something I might have memorized for a test 30 years ago. None of the "scientific" sources I found contained anything useful, including if they are actually big enough to make the structures (normal vessel or a migraton tract is the question) photographed. The general advice of the hunting community is "pick out any worms you can see; cook and enjoy the rest"

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The "holes" look like cross sections of blood vessels to me. I am a pathologist and had forgotten that deer "muscle worms" exist. Some keyboarding led to their likely name "Parelaphostrongylus andersoni", which sounds like something I might have memorized for a test 30 years ago. None of the "scientific" sources I found contained anything useful, including if they are actually big enough to make the structures (normal vessel or a migraton tract is the question) photographed. The general advice of the hunting community is "pick out any worms you can see; cook and enjoy the rest"
I couldn’t find any it was just a couple spots that looked like where they dug in and I cut about 1/2 inch of both sides out and threw away

Latest posts

Top Bottom