Worst day/Worst job

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was listening to the radio on the way home from hunting tonight, and heard an interesting topic about how some jobs are just really hell.
How about tell us either your worst day on the job, or if your employer was just a total dictator and forced employees to do things that just didn't seem right.

I'll start.
Between 11th and 12th grade I worked for the city of Ponca City as a summer time utility person. Mow grass, do whatever they needed.
One morning got the call to report to the Sanitation plant. Seems the big sweeper where the raw sewage came into the plant had experienced a bearing failure on the lower bearing assembly. (big arms with rubber pads on the bottom to "crush" the solids, you know what those are)
They pumped it down to about 3" deep, and we got in there with the "solids" and tools. The bolt/nut combo's were frozen solid so we kept putting longer cheater bars on the wrenches to get more torque.
Well, there is a time when brute force overcomes the physics of bolt strength and it snapped, with two of us clad only in knee boots onto our backs in the "solids".
The peanut gallery standing on the outside had a major laugh, but hauled us out and put us in a shower that was antibacterial or something, and gave us a change of clothes.
I must have showered for an hour getting home.
Later that night had a date with a lady I'd wanted to go out with for a while. She kept commenting on the "sewer smell" in the car. Said I'd ran over something and that was the smell, but she never went out with me again. LOL

What's yours?

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My "worst day" was very similar to the one Dennis had except mine was on a hog farm back in the day before the confined animal operations of today. It was the first day I was sent out by the state employment office to the hog farm. The farmer was preparing to send a batch of hogs to the local processing facility but needed an interior fence built to put the hogs into a smaller area than the larger feedlot they were currently occupying. So, out into the mud and funk, I was sent to drive T-posts into the muck so hog-wire panels could be erected to create the new perimeter. Every time I crouched to use tie-wires to erect the panels, the hogs would approach me from behind to attempt to eat my leather belt or my rubber boots. The farmer had given me a short length of PVC pipe to whack the hogs and drive them away from me. This would only dissuade the hogs for a short time.

This was over 45 years ago but that smell still infests my brain. And I still call a T-post driver a "tool of ignorance."

Latest posts

Top Bottom