• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Want To Buy WTB a Kayak Rack?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Do you have front and rear receiver hitches on that Jeep ?
See where I am going with that.
My Corolla has plastic bumpers under the plastic bumper covers.
I need a rack on top and the roof metal is thin.
I thought a sandwich type deal .
Take steel plates one on top the roof and one under the roof and bolt them together through the roof and put some rubber inner tube between the plate and roof.
I do not know if you are into drilling holes in your roof.

Another way is to take a ratchet strap and run it through the open doors to secure the item on the roof.

You tighten the straps and close the doors.
I do this on the Corolla often.
To save the fiberglass top a rack can be made that sits on the roof but take some roll bar padding or pool noodles and place between rack and roof to help save the paint a bit.

It will still be scuffing the paint a bit though as tiny vibrations will do that.

JRR

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I need to carry two Kayaks on top of a Jeep TJ that has a Hardtop.

Any one have suggestions?
I bought a 12ft. boat trailer for $200, put new tires on and 2 cross members and have hauled our two 12ft. yaks for 15yrs. If you want to try my sit in fishing yak at Hefner, its current licensed, let me know. Also have pic of trailer.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Do you have front and rear receiver hitches on that Jeep ?
See where I am going with that.
My Corolla has plastic bumpers under the plastic bumper covers.
I need a rack on top and the roof metal is thin.
I thought a sandwich type deal .
Take steel plates one on top the roof and one under the roof and bolt them together through the roof and put some rubber inner tube between the plate and roof.
I do not know if you are into drilling holes in your roof.

Another way is to take a ratchet strap and run it through the open doors to secure the item on the roof.

You tighten the straps and close the doors.
I do this on the Corolla often.
To save the fiberglass top a rack can be made that sits on the roof but take some roll bar padding or pool noodles and place between rack and roof to help save the paint a bit.

It will still be scuffing the paint a bit though as tiny vibrations will do that.

Hardtop on Jeep. Have a guy that simply used 1/4” 4x4 plates to diffuse the weight and he made a simple 3/4” gas pipe rack. Said he has used it for two big kayaks for over 10 years. I am like you bud, It will be drilled!

Latest posts

Top Bottom