Yard drainage help/ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those asking, here is a somewhat better picture. Best I can do right now The downspout turns and discharges on the driveway so this is almost exclusively rain water pooling and not cause by downspouts CA149A51-EFDD-40A0-A61C-6E9128BAC312.png

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any fall to the front or back? A shallow channel can be cut that will collect and disperse the water.

I would do this before I brought in more dirt.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there any fall to the front or back? A shallow channel can be cut that will collect and disperse the water.

I would do this before I brought in more dirt.

The yard itself slopes slightly downhill towards the street. Do you mean like cutting a small trench down to the ditch? Maybe just an inch or two wide?

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In general and based on the picture, I would cut (with a box blade) a gradually side sloped channel, maybe 4 to 6 feet wide and just below the existing grade and out to the ditch at the road. What kind of measure is it from the fence to ditch at the road.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The yard itself slopes slightly downhill towards the street. Do you mean like cutting a small trench down to the ditch? Maybe just an inch or two wide?

You could do that if you didn't mind. When we worked at a retreat and reunion center in Oregon, both lodges were up on the side of a ridge, and one of those had an issue with water coming downhill and flooding part of the lodge. Someone had dug such a shallow ditch above the lodge to direct the water to both ends of the lodge. It worked, but I had to go up there 3 or 4 times over the winter and clean it out so that the water would continue to follow the "ditch" instead of going down the slope.

Yours would be easier as you are on pretty flat ground. It was the pits trying to stand on a slope and clean the ditch.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In general and based on the picture, I would cut (with a box blade) a gradually side sloped channel, maybe 4 to 6 feet wide and just below the existing grade and out to the ditch at the road. What kind of measure is it from the fence to ditch at
It’s not too far, maybe 30 yards from the gate to ditch. I don’t really have access to a box blade though. But you gave me a decent idea that I may try doing.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I apparently ask for help all the time. I didn’t get to mess with the mower in my other thread tonight because I was raking out the side yard. Neighbor was getting a French drain in his backyard so I asked the guy for a quote. He looked it over and said he’d fix it in 5 minutes with his skid steer.

He didn’t even charge me for it. It probably actually took him 15-20 but we was able to fix it up real quick. Just needs some sod now and a heavy rain to make sure it was enough to solve the issue!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I apparently ask for help all the time. I didn’t get to mess with the mower in my other thread tonight because I was raking out the side yard. Neighbor was getting a French drain in his backyard so I asked the guy for a quote. He looked it over and said he’d fix it in 5 minutes with his skid steer.

He didn’t even charge me for it. It probably actually took him 15-20 but we was able to fix it up real quick. Just needs some sod now and a heavy rain to make sure it was enough to solve the issue!
Pics. Did he remove a high spot that prevented it from draining?

Latest posts

Top Bottom