You have to buyback your stolen items from pawn shops

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super_soph198

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was posting on a different thread and it got me irritated. Had my car broken into and the items stolen. The person sold my items at a pawn shop and was caught by the police. Did you know that to get your property you have to either pay the pawn shop whatever they paid the thief for your stolen goods, or you can wait til after the trial which could take years. Last I checked it is illegal to purchase stolen property so wouldn't that make me purchasing back my stolen properly illegal? Either way very irritating but that is how the state of Oklahoma handles stolen goods. Makes sense though because without that pawn shops would go out of business.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who told you this? Last I knew from when my truck was broken into a few years ago, they had to give it to you if you had a copy of the police report and an officer with you.

rrd101

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had my tool box jacked years ago off my porch. Police caught the girl she had pawned them
in okc
I had to go to court there to get them released to me that was before the trail All I was out was atrip to the city
and a aday wait in court

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was posting on a different thread and it got me irritated. Had my car broken into and the items stolen. The person sold my items at a pawn shop and was caught by the police. Did you know that to get your property you have to either pay the pawn shop whatever they paid the thief for your stolen goods, or you can wait til after the trial which could take years. Last I checked it is illegal to purchase stolen property so wouldn't that make me purchasing back my stolen properly illegal? Either way very irritating but that is how the state of Oklahoma handles stolen goods. Makes sense though because without that pawn shops would go out of business.

http://www.ok.gov/okdocc/documents/1. Oklahoma Pawnshop Act.pdf

Super_soph198

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's what the detective told me, he said that my two options were to either pay the pawn shop 20 bucks for what was stolen, or wait until after the trial. I was pretty miffed at both options.

Super_soph198

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also I understand 20 bucks is small potatoes, but I had already paid for the item and it made me mad that I would have to pay for My property. I'll call the detective Monday after reading the article from Big House.

SoonerStatePawn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also I understand 20 bucks is small potatoes, but I had already paid for the item and it made me mad that I would have to pay for My property. I'll call the detective Monday after reading the article from Big House.

It differs city to city. It is illegal to knowingly purchase stolen merchandise. When we either purchase or loan on merchandise you are signing your name and stating how long you have owned the merchandise. If you pawn something stolen it is a Felony for each item regardless of value, false declaration to a pawnbroker is a very serious offense. Pawning a stolen item will land you in more trouble than breaking into a car or house. We also report all items we take in to the Police Dept every night via email. It's all inputed into a database where if it's reported stolen, it will be found. The pawnbroker is also a victim and out the money we gave for the merchandise. In Oklahoma City, if an item is found to be stolen it is put on hold. When dealing with OCPD they never ask the victim to pay the pawnbroker. We put the item on hold, and a detective will pick it up as evidence. Most of the time, the detective will release the items to the victim when charges have been filed. Moore is the only city we've dealt with that tells the victim to pay the pawnbroker to get their stuff back. If your stuff is ever stolen, you don't have to pay the pawnbroker. Let the City press charges, you will get your merchandise back, and the pawnbroker will get restitution years down the road. Oklahoma City will normally have your merchandise back within a month.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a nice floor jack stolen, found it in a pawn shop 3 or 4 months later, told the pawn shop owner it was my stolen jack, he replied that I could call the police but it was still for sale until they came. They picked it up and said that they were holding it for evidence but once they no longer needed it that the pawn shop still had a claim on it and if they didn't agree to release it to me that I would have to request a hearing and let the judge decide who would get it, luckily they did release it and I got it back but it was out of my possession for close to a year.

I believe we can thank our fine lawmakers in Okla. City for putting in loop holes like that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom