Your Favorite Hunting Equipment Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Honestly, besides my rifles/ammo, bows/arrows, and a folding chair to sit on, probably the best money I've spent is on a Stoney Point Polecat collapsible bipod. It turns this Marginal Marksman into Dead Eye Dick, and the venison is in the freezer to prove it!

Good flashlights & headlamps are worth their price, too. I like a headlamp with a low light setting to get in without spooking, and a VERY powerful flashlight in my fanny pack, to cut through the woods in the early season on the way out, when it's easier to get lost in the thicker flora. I panic pretty quickly when I get lost.

Also, I've got two giant fanny packs that I like a lot. One is by Gerber, and one is by Badlands. I can then wear the fanny pack in front with huntin gear (like ammo, lights, compasses/gps/iphone, knives, folding saw, food, water, scents, calls, earplugs, head and hand coverings, bug spray/thermacell, wind direction bottle, wallet, keys, chemical hand warmers, .22 kit gun, etc.) -- and still be able to wear a small or medium sized backpack on my back which holds my shed clothing layers, emergency/first aid gear, more water, stoney point bipod, and little bitty folding chair. [No, I've never quite been able to grasp the concept of 'travel light'.]

Oh, another thing - my I-phone with its aerial view maps is really really helpful if you have a signal.

I had a Tree Saddle, but sold it before I ever used it. Great concept, and I was initially very excited, but I had several issues. First one was it was literally too complicated (or me too stupid, or some combination thereof), for me to figure it out solely from the directions, and I don't have a tree at my house with a long enough limbless portion to practice with, to figure it out from hands-on.

Second problem is that I bought a large or extra large, and it was too big for me (think I need a medium).

Third problem was/is that I *thought* when I bought it that it was gonna be a self-contained hanging AND climbing apparatus - I thought it was touted as something you could use to somehow shimmy or inchworm up the tree trunk with it using alternating belts to hold you, one at a time. When I found out that I *still* would need to climb the tree, or use screw-in steps or climbing sticks, it was much less appealing to me.

The last and probably biggest problem is, I couldn't figure out how I was gonna take a whiz in that thing without cutting a hole in the bottom mesh part and lettin' fly, and even then I might be too 'squished' and wrapped up in that thing to be able to unzip and make it work, if that makes sense.... sure as heck ain't gonna climb down and empty the bladder once an hour after morning coffee like I would in a ladder stand - too much hassle. Can't just let er rip into the air (or a container if you prefer) like you would in a hang-on or climbing stand.

However, DD, should I re-think this, and get one in the right size? How do you handle the urination issue?

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, besides my rifles/ammo, bows/arrows, and a folding chair to sit on, probably the best money I've spent is on a Stoney Point Polecat collapsible bipod. It turns this Marginal Marksman into Dead Eye Dick, and the venison is in the freezer to prove it!

Good flashlights & headlamps are worth their price, too. I like a headlamp with a low light setting to get in without spooking, and a VERY powerful flashlight in my fanny pack, to cut through the woods in the early season on the way out, when it's easier to get lost in the thicker flora. I panic pretty quickly when I get lost.

Also, I've got two giant fanny packs that I like a lot. One is by Gerber, and one is by Badlands. I can then wear the fanny pack in front with huntin gear (like ammo, lights, compasses/gps/iphone, knives, folding saw, food, water, scents, calls, earplugs, head and hand coverings, bug spray/thermacell, wind direction bottle, wallet, keys, chemical hand warmers, .22 kit gun, etc.) -- and still be able to wear a small or medium sized backpack on my back which holds my shed clothing layers, emergency/first aid gear, more water, stoney point bipod, and little bitty folding chair. [No, I've never quite been able to grasp the concept of 'travel light'.]

Oh, another thing - my I-phone with its aerial view maps is really really helpful if you have a signal.

I had a Tree Saddle, but sold it before I ever used it. Great concept, and I was initially very excited, but I had several issues. First one was it was literally too complicated (or me too stupid, or some combination thereof), for me to figure it out solely from the directions, and I don't have a tree at my house with a long enough limbless portion to practice with, to figure it out from hands-on.

Second problem is that I bought a large or extra large, and it was too big for me (think I need a medium).

Third problem was/is that I *thought* when I bought it that it was gonna be a self-contained hanging AND climbing apparatus - I thought it was touted as something you could use to somehow shimmy or inchworm up the tree trunk with it using alternating belts to hold you, one at a time. When I found out that I *still* would need to climb the tree, or use screw-in steps or climbing sticks, it was much less appealing to me.

The last and probably biggest problem is, I couldn't figure out how I was gonna take a whiz in that thing without cutting a hole in the bottom mesh part and lettin' fly, and even then I might be too 'squished' and wrapped up in that thing to be able to unzip and make it work, if that makes sense.... sure as heck ain't gonna climb down and empty the bladder once an hour after morning coffee like I would in a ladder stand - too much hassle. Can't just let er rip into the air (or a container if you prefer) like you would in a hang-on or climbing stand.

However, DD, should I re-think this, and get one in the right size? How do you handle the urination issue?

I think you've described all the reasons not to get a tree saddle. Plus, I've heard they aren't comfortable when you sit for an extended period of time. If you have to have steps then there really isn't an advantage.

I have to be comfortable when I hunt and I just don't see it with the tree saddle. Honestly, I'm the most comfortable when hunting from a ground blind with a nice lawn chair. :thumb: I still have several ladder stands and hang-ons that are comfortable as well. I like to sit for a minimum of 3-4 hours and I just don't see sitting in a tree saddle for that amount of time. Oh well.. to each their own.

DownDeep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I take a "Whiz" when I get out of the truck before I go into the woods to hunt, and when I get back from hunting at the truck. I guess I just have a large bladder. It is not an issue for me.
Your feet don't just hang down while in the tree saddle... you must have a limb or tree steps to place your feet on... So you can just stand up to whiz in a bottle, just like you would in a hang-on stand.

I've heard they aren't comfortable when you sit for an extended period of time. If you have to have steps then there really isn't an advantage.

I have to be comfortable when I hunt and I just don't see it with the tree saddle. Honestly, I'm the most comfortable when hunting from a ground blind with a nice lawn chair. :thumb: I still have several ladder stands and hang-ons that are comfortable as well. I like to sit for a minimum of 3-4 hours and I just don't see sitting in a tree saddle for that amount of time. Oh well.. to each their own.
I sit in my tree saddle, on average, 8 hours a day (depending if it's early season or late season and if the rut is in full swing, etc.... could be longer or shorter time frame).
It can be more comfortable than your lawn chair if the tree saddle fits you properly, and is adjusted correctly, and in a suitable tree.
I think I have about 25-30 trees sit up right now for the tree saddle. I can usually make it up any tree with 12 or fewer steps. Here is the Math: (30 trees x 12 steps at $2.25 =$810 for steps) + ($200 Tree saddle = $1,010)

VS.

(30 trees x 12 steps at $2.25 = $810 for steps) + (30 hang-on stands at $100 a pop = $3000 for stands) = $3,810

I could get a really nice portable stand for around the same price as the tree saddle, but the tree saddle is just as comfortable and much lighter.

I do have a pop-up blind (that I hardly ever use)... The tree saddle weighs 3lbs. vs. a pop-up weighing somewhere around 15-20lbs and still need to carry your lawn chair.

So I guess your right...there isn't really any advantage at all.

And Yes... to each their own!

Reaction score
Hey thanks a lot, now I want one again. Butthole! :D

See, that's the MAIN reason I wanted one is because I figured they'd be MORE comfortable than any other stand, and that I could literally fall asleep (after securing gun or bow), just hanging there snoozing if I wanted to, and wake up when the deer make noise coming through. I guess I can't do that if you have to have a limb or steps. Dunno why the ads and website show guys just "pushing out" from the vertical trunks of trees with these (no limb or steps). I figured that's how you use them and if you just hang, you just hang; no problem.

http://www.trophylineusa.com/

And sheesh, man, yeah, you must have a huge bladder to stay up there for hours, not to mention patience. I have to whiz at least 3 times between sunup and 9:30 am, without fail - and that's with NO coffee! Add coffee and fuggedaboutit. But if you can just stand on a limb, loosening the saddle to let fly in the air or a bottle, I just may need to give them a try again.

Honestly, I'm the most comfortable when hunting from a ground blind with a nice lawn chair

Amen to that, TB - the ground blind will continue to be my favorite and most common, but I figure really leery big bucks ain't gonna come by a blind no matter how long it's been sitting there, so thought maybe the saddle would give me an edge.

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That saddle doesnt look too bad but I thought screw in steps were not allowed on public land. That is where I hunt too so I would appreciate it if someone could clairify this.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Got to archerytalk.com and go to the treestand threads, and look up the tree saddle, theres a guy on there that has about 10 youtube videos on instructions for the saddle.. I will own one of these one day.. Downdeep.. being that mobile on public land and not limiting yourself to one spot helps you out a bunch I bet!!

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I take a "Whiz" when I get out of the truck before I go into the woods to hunt, and when I get back from hunting at the truck. I guess I just have a large bladder. It is not an issue for me.
Your feet don't just hang down while in the tree saddle... you must have a limb or tree steps to place your feet on... So you can just stand up to whiz in a bottle, just like you would in a hang-on stand.

I sit in my tree saddle, on average, 8 hours a day (depending if it's early season or late season and if the rut is in full swing, etc.... could be longer or shorter time frame).
It can be more comfortable than your lawn chair if the tree saddle fits you properly, and is adjusted correctly, and in a suitable tree.
I think I have about 25-30 trees sit up right now for the tree saddle. I can usually make it up any tree with 12 or fewer steps. Here is the Math: (30 trees x 12 steps at $2.25 =$810 for steps) + ($200 Tree saddle = $1,010)

VS.

(30 trees x 12 steps at $2.25 = $810 for steps) + (30 hang-on stands at $100 a pop = $3000 for stands) = $3,810

I could get a really nice portable stand for around the same price as the tree saddle, but the tree saddle is just as comfortable and much lighter.

I do have a pop-up blind (that I hardly ever use)... The tree saddle weighs 3lbs. vs. a pop-up weighing somewhere around 15-20lbs and still need to carry your lawn chair.

So I guess your right...there isn't really any advantage at all.

And Yes... to each their own!

I prefer my blind that pops up in about 30 seconds and I can take it down in under a minute. I could hunt exclusively with a pop up blind. Like I said, to each their own. Obviously, you like the tree saddle and if it works for you then great.

They just don't look comfortable to me i.e. limited movement, buying all those steps, not being able to take a leak etc.. I don't see an advantage in screwing in tons of tree steps. Plus, as you pointed out, it's not cheap. You can take a blind and pop it up almost anywhere. Oh.. and as for the math thing, one $100 blind is cheaper than all those steps and the saddle. Just so we're clear about the whole math thing. So yeah, not much of an advantage in my eyes.

DownDeep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Downdeep.. being that mobile on public land and not limiting yourself to one spot helps you out a bunch I bet!!

Yeah... It's a huge advantage for hunting Public Land in my opinion!
I have some spots that can take up to an hour of hiking/walking to get to the hunting location, so less equipment/weight is a very BIG PLUS!
Hang-on stands can weigh 20lbs+, with some of the lighter portables weighing as little as 10-11lbs. These stands are usually noiser do to having chains, rachet straps, etc.
Blinds are very cumbersome. They weigh on average somewhere around 20-25lbs. And you still need to carry something to sit on or stay on your knees(ouch). And, it's also best if you brush them in, which takes up time, and can be noisy as well.
With all that said! I do use either hang-on stands or blinds when I hunt some of my private land due to having less risk of my equipment being stolen or finding someone already sitting in your stand on arrival. I have seen people on public land with bolt cutters tethered to there back packs!

Latest posts

Top Bottom