20 inch 556 zero?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i always have my 5 shot group centered about 2 inches above the point of aim at 100yards,, that way u aim 8 inches above the belt buckle and the bullet will hit anywhere from just above belt buckle to just below the neck,0-300yards..this type of zero works on most any centerfire bottleneck cartridge.
my scope isn't powerful enough to see a coyotes belt buckle. wink with eye

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sake ??? u mean same,, well not really most people reading this will be lucky to hit a 2 ft target at 300 yards , much less zero anything at that range with iron sights or a red dot...zeroing at 100 yards is what most people do because they can do it @ 100 yds,,at 300yds a scope is needed for consistence hits or zeroing for most of us,,now you young'uns with 20/20 vison can do your zeroing at 300 with iron sights or a red dot if you can find a range that has 300 yd targets..my rifles will be doing most of their "work" 0-200yds.any further than that i usually miss a 2 legged varmit target with my iron sights,, so out comes the scoped rifle or i wait till the varmit gets to 200...

Last edited:

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
actually you can if you want.... zero your rifle at multiple ranges and record the settings of your irons or scope. or you can zero at any distance you please and hope for the best at all other significant distances. and much depends on your definition of on target.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like to shoot each of my rifles at paper at different distances and see what results i get.
No calculation or math will be a substitute for me.

Here is my 223 bolt gun paper targets with a couple new loads i was playing with 25 yard and 50 yard were 25.0 and 25.5 gr of powder just to see if there was much impact change right or left or up and down.
Then at 100 yards just the 25.5 load.
Put it on paper.
Left to right 25 yards 50 yards and then 100 yards.

001.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom