50 years of getting climate change wrong

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some very smart people that I greatly respect say that climate change is a thing. I'm not a smart person, but I am intelligent enough to know that I should at least pay heed to smart people.

I believe that both sides abuse the issue for their own gains.

This is known as an “appeal to authority”. To each their own but I prefer to think for myself. Might I be wrong? Sure, but these “smart people” haven’t been accurate enough for me to believe them either.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When some of the dumbest people on earth, (politicians) stand on a stage and tell me that climate change is an existential threat and whip up juvenile kids into believing we only have 11 years to live, I become an instant climate change skeptic.
Maybe I've been a skeptic because I've seen way too many people in the last 50 years with big educations and titles tell me I was going to die from an ice age and now I'm gonna burn up and die or drown in the rising oceans in 11 years if I don't follow the climate advice of a bartender from NYC that is now a congresswoman.
When people with those big educations and titles keep lying to me and putting out "evidence" of their findings that I can easily debunk using google, I tend to not believe another word they say.
The oceans are rising!!! We are doomed we were told by obama. HMMMM he just bought a house on the seashore about 2' above sea level. What does that tell you?
I believe in climate change. Oklahoma was once covered by glaciers, and when they melted we were under the ocean, all before the industrial revolution. Thats change. The climate will continue to evolve as long as the earth exists and to think gathering cow farts is going to change anything, is ludicris.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe in climate change. I believe we humans impact the climate. I don't believe anybody knows exactly what will happen or when. I don't believe we can stop the climate from changing. Whether we survive or not as a species, the earth will live on until our star shoots supernova.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When some of the dumbest people on earth, (politicians) stand on a stage and tell me that climate change is an existential threat and whip up juvenile kids into believing we only have 11 years to live, I become an instant climate change skeptic.
Maybe I've been a skeptic because I've seen way too many people in the last 50 years with big educations and titles tell me I was going to die from an ice age and now I'm gonna burn up and die or drown in the rising oceans in 11 years if I don't follow the climate advice of a bartender from NYC that is now a congresswoman.
When people with those big educations and titles keep lying to me and putting out "evidence" of their findings that I can easily debunk using google, I tend to not believe another word they say.
The oceans are rising!!! We are doomed we were told by obama. HMMMM he just bought a house on the seashore about 2' above sea level. What does that tell you?
I believe in climate change. Oklahoma was once covered by glaciers, and when they melted we were under the ocean, all before the industrial revolution. Thats change. The climate will continue to evolve as long as the earth exists and to think gathering cow farts is going to change anything, is ludicris.

I agree with this. However, I also agree we should do more to protect the environment. No, I'm not into "green energy" simply because its not 100% viable. I would love to put up solar panels so during the day my electric meter doesn't run, but I still need a power source one the sun goes down and I don't have enough garage space for a battery system that would support that. Wind is about the same though I will give it credit that it works at night. Instead of spending more and more money on these technologies, we should be putting money into nuclear fission or finding a way to harness all the potential energy from nuclear substances.

But honestly, we could do more about polluting our environment. I really don't care for landfills. I've been to the landfill here in Tulsa and was surprised at what was allowed to be dumped there. We could do more to limit or eradicate pollutants from getting into our streams and rivers.

But, these cockamanie schemes these politicians are cooking up are not feasible and place a huge burden on even the middle class. It would make owning a car an unreachable goal for many families. People would have to go without power and in this day and age you can't live in the city unless you have electricity in your home (how that works I dunno, its like we never had power and survived as a species). Its really a poorly disguised attempt for the left to control yet another aspect of our lives.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
99% of the people that think we should harness cow farts or whatever ignorant theory they have live in the bubble of a city where public transportation is a viable alternative to firing up the car, and they can walk to a restaurant or to their shopping possibly. Here in the country we cannot live without fossil fuels. Farmers and ranchers cannot use a prius to do their daily work, there isn't a solar panel big enough to power the motor of a 1 ton hay truck that's working all day long.

The environment we live in is extremely cleaner now than 50 years ago when we did pollute the rivers and streams with industrial waste. The Hudson river in NYC is full of stripers and a recent national bass tournament highlighted how well the river had recovered from the day when soap suds and waste floated down the river into the ocean.
The Cuyahoga River in Cleveland had a history of burning because of industrial waste discharged into it that finally ended up in Lake Erie which was known as the dead sea because it was so polluted. The river and lake have been cleaned up and both are great fisheries currently.

We keep cleaning up our environment, yet the climate goons keep telling us we are the problem while letting China and India, both huge polluters off the hook. The politics of "climate change" has to change for me, because it's all about gaining control of the people.

I'm not going to walk the 5 miles to town and carry home bags of groceries, make lard for soap and candle wax. Not gonna hitch up some horses and a single point plow to turn over 40 acres that would take most of a month to do.
I'm going to get in my pickup, drive to town do what needs to be done, and come home to the air conditioner.
Humans are but a tiny bit of any climate issue. While we may have polluted a couple of rivers in highly industrialized areas there are millions of other streams and lakes that are not polluted by humans, flowing freely and clean.
It's been my pleasure to fish some of those all summer long.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bro, all you had to do was check out his wikipedia before passing on incorrect information.

Well, I'm going to start this by saying that I was almost completely incorrect.

I am not one to consider Wikipedia as a final say in anything. I checked several other sources, and can confirm that I am wrong.

I am guilty of passing on information given to me by someone else, without checking it first.

As my Grandmother used to say; A public infraction requires a public correction.

Mea culpa.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As my Grandmother used to say; A public infraction requires a public correction.

We're all guilty of it at some point. Too much misinformation out there to keep everything straight brother. For instance, you should hear newbs talk about how great their Taurus' are.

My hat off to you for your statement, people don't do that these days, much less online. I don't think anybody would flay you for something so common these days. You're definitely good people.

Latest posts

Top Bottom