80% AR receivers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with what it takes to complete and 80% AR receiver but I'm interested. I've not completed my 80% AK receiver I have around here but it doesn't look too bad. But yet, it just sits waiting for me. Dang I'm lazy sometimes...

A lot of milling, drilling, sanding, measuring, testing parts fitment, etc etc.... then when it's all done you have to anodize it or duracoat it. I would rather pay $80 to $100 and have everything done and ready for parts. It would end up being way too much time consumed and more than likely cost more than the price of an already finished lower.
If you're a tinkerer and just want a project, then go for it. I would suggest having a finished stripped lower to get measurments off of to make it a little easier.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
A lot of milling, drilling, sanding, measuring, testing parts fitment, etc etc.... then when it's all done you have to anodize it or duracoat it. I would rather pay $80 to $100 and have everything done and ready for parts. It would end up being way too much time consumed and more than likely cost more than the price of an already finished lower.
If you're a tinkerer and just want a project, then go for it. I would suggest having a finished stripped lower to get measurments off of to make it a little easier.

And you should really have a mill to do it on. And all the requisite tooling.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with what it takes to complete and 80% AR receiver but I'm interested. I've not completed my 80% AK receiver I have around here but it doesn't look too bad. But yet, it just sits waiting for me. Dang I'm lazy sometimes...

You and me both, brudda!

The 80% are overpriced for sure. If you don't want a paper trail, just wait for someone to sell a receiver on here. They come up for sale all the time. I'm not that worried about it. When I want one, I just go to the store, and buy it new.

It is perfectly legal, so long as you are making it for yourself. No forms, no papers. Local ATF told me that it is NOT required to put numbers on it or anything, but that you might want to mark it one way or another to ID it if it gets stolen.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
You and me both, brudda!

The 80% are overpriced for sure. If you don't want a paper trail, just wait for someone to sell a receiver on here. They come up for sale all the time. I'm not that worried about it. When I want one, I just go to the store, and buy it new.

It is perfectly legal, so long as you are making it for yourself. No forms, no papers. Local ATF told me that it is NOT required to put numbers on it or anything, but that you might want to mark it one way or another to ID it if it gets stolen.

As I understood it, if you ever DID sell it, it would need some kind of serial number. I could be wrong, just something I think I read.

Latest posts

Top Bottom