Additives for Diesel Fuel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Ford 7.3L for a couple of years and never ran an additive. I probably didn't own it long enough though. I replaced with a 5.9L Cummins mainly to go from 2wd to 4wd. I couldn't find a good 4wd 7.3L at the time and we were far enough into the 6.0L's to know to avoid them. I've had the Cummins for a little over 9 years now. Never added anything and never had a problem.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I add the walmart ashless 2 stroke like others mentioned in my 7.3 and did so as well in both of my 12 valve trucks for the added lubricity. Never noticed anything different but also never had any pump or injector issues and both my 12v had over 300k on them.

I let my uncle talk me into trying a product recently called "Rev-X" for my 7.3 because of all the "miracles" it has done for his 6.7 psd and my grandpas ragged out duramax. So I dropped $33 for 16 oz just so he would shut up about it and conclude it is snake oil at best. He supposedly got a 3mpg increase and could "tell his truck ran smoother" :rolleyes: I saw a 1 mpg decrease the first tank and then back to normal with the following tanks.

To the OP: I would be careful what you put in your tank depending on which year F250 you have...these newer trucks don't seem to be as forgiving as the diesels of the 90s and early 2000s.

RustyW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had diesel tractors for close to 20 years & never used an additive. Never had a problem with them. I bought a 03 Cummins 5.9 about 18 months ago, 1st diesel pickup and loving it. I run the same as others have mentioned, 1oz per gallon of 2 stroke oil and stanadyne performance in every tank. I was driving home after work one day just bee bopping along & the truck died. I pulled over to the side of the road and sat about 10 seconds and it fired right up. Drove the rest of the way home, abt 3 miles, and started checking things out. This is the fuel filter canister. After about 3 treatments of Killem & changing filters it's cleared out and doing fine.

Attachments

• 160704_0000.jpg
    160704_0000.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 108

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using the Motorcraft Cetane Booster PM22A for about a week now (1 1/2 tanks). I don't see any real difference in mpg but the engine does seem to start easier and idle smoother. My gut feeling is the engine also has a little more "pep".

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best additive I've found for diesel is propane. Works wonders. Our test truck was diesel that we could fumigate with propane or natural gas. Awesome project. Propane worked best.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had diesel tractors for close to 20 years & never used an additive. Never had a problem with them. I bought a 03 Cummins 5.9 about 18 months ago, 1st diesel pickup and loving it. I run the same as others have mentioned, 1oz per gallon of 2 stroke oil and stanadyne performance in every tank. I was driving home after work one day just bee bopping along & the truck died. I pulled over to the side of the road and sat about 10 seconds and it fired right up. Drove the rest of the way home, abt 3 miles, and started checking things out. This is the fuel filter canister. After about 3 treatments of Killem & changing filters it's cleared out and doing fine.
That's concerning - Stanadyne Performance doesn't look to have a biocide. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to run Killem through every once in a while.

Latest posts

Top Bottom