All around Okie cartridge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a deep love for 270 Winchester after almost 40 years of shooting and hunting with it, but if I was forced to only be able to hunt with one cartridge in TX and OK, I’d more than likely choose 308 for a couple reasons. The main one being my combo gun is chambered in 308, and another is that I already have proven loads for 110 gr, 165 gr, and 180 grain bullets that should cover about anything I would want to hunt with a centerfire rifle.

Head Mule

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna catch some ribbing for this, since everyone is focusing on "big"(er) BUT, personally for absolute all around, I'm going with either 22lr, or 22mag. Cheap, light, easy to train someone, very easy to "hush" , no felt recoil (again for new shooter), and can provide food, protection (on a limited basis) and far easier to replace ammo and carry large amounts of ammo if needed. All that being said, my next choice would likely be a 30/30. Reasons for both these are fairly similar actually, and personally, I prefer timber to open plains when possible. This is a topic I have actually spent hours considering and tbh, I have come up with no wrong answers (as long as practicality stays in focus). I tend to look as simple as possible for all aspects and types of possibilities. And even to go a step farther, a 20ga pump would probably bee even better.. more versatile yet... shot, slugs, or buck shot. OK, fellas, book is finished. Lol

capnkirk462

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am pretty happy with 7.62 x 39. Sure it isn't a reach out and touch some one round. But it works for shorter range shooting. Still happy with my mosin nagant's 7.62 x 54r for longer range shooting. But I bought a lot of both ammo when it was cheap so that could baised my opinion. But it is more of personal choice than anything else. What calibers everyone has mentioned so far are good also.

SBSATS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna catch some ribbing for this, since everyone is focusing on "big"(er) BUT, personally for absolute all around, I'm going with either 22lr, or 22mag. Cheap, light, easy to train someone, very easy to "hush" , no felt recoil (again for new shooter), and can provide food, protection (on a limited basis) and far easier to replace ammo and carry large amounts of ammo if needed. All that being said, my next choice would likely be a 30/30. Reasons for both these are fairly similar actually, and personally, I prefer timber to open plains when possible. This is a topic I have actually spent hours considering and tbh, I have come up with no wrong answers (as long as practicality stays in focus). I tend to look as simple as possible for all aspects and types of possibilities. And even to go a step farther, a 20ga pump would probably bee even better.. more versatile yet... shot, slugs, or buck shot. OK, fellas, book is finished. Lol
Agreed and have dined on many a meal acquired with your choices. But the question was "one " all around caliber. Given that, I chose the 06, as it has the most possibilities of loads. From squirrel to elk. And I agree that the shotgun would be even a better choice for all around. Although I love a 20, I would opt for a 12, as it would give a advantage overall.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never thought about only one caliber for hunting but along the same lines, I have thought about a bug out situation where I would be limited to only a few calibers and 308 is the larger caliber I settled on. So 308 would be my choice for your question as well. As I think about it, that is the go to for me and my daughters over most any others anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom