Alone vacation suggestions? Dang, this sucks...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a few days off towards the end of the month and was looking around trying to figure out somewhere to go...

Sun, sand and surf sound nice. Anything laid-back, chill... maybe some shows, good casual dining, etc.

The problem?

No one to go with... I haven't been "alone" (i.e., unattached) for any significant amount of time in... I dunno, 17 years? Longer? I can't even remember. Now that I am, all I can think of when I think of a vacation or time away is that I would be there alone. And how would I enjoy anything by myself? I mean, seriously, I am NOT the clubbing type, so going out to "meet people" in some vacation spot is a horrible chance. I'd be the guy sitting in the corner all night sipping my Scotch and stumbling back to the hotel to pass out and do it all over again the next day.

And I can do that here.

Not to mention I am not really into quick "hookups." I really have always preferred to be with someone I loved or at least cared about and had a chance I might see again...

Guys, I know some of you have gone through this... how do you get around being overwhelmingly lonely and hopeless? Self-esteem in the toilet, no use to anyone, no prospects for the future for a overweight, middle-aged, balding, boring guy with at best average appearance. I know you have to get out and do things, but... jeez, I work too much, and work nights at that, so that pretty well preempts any chance of a normal social life.

Hell, last night was my only night off for 2 weeks and I called up the guy working and told him to stay home and took his shift. Just 'cause I couldn't stand to be home alone for more than the 12 hours a day I am already off.

Let's see... I've already got 21 shifts in January. The way I see that right now, that leaves me 10 nights at home alone. I don't like those numbers - not at all.

:(

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been single a few years and honestly, I'd almost rather take a vacation solo since I'm not trying to work around someone else's schedule. I've taken some solo vacations to vintage motorcycle events like the Barber Motorsports museum in Alabama. I'm also considering hopping a Southwest flight and going to the Colt museum in Yankeeville. Er- I mean Connecticut.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been single a few years and honestly, I'd almost rather take a vacation solo since I'm not trying to work around someone else's schedule. I've taken some solo vacations to vintage motorcycle events like the Barber Motorsports museum in Alabama. I'm also considering hopping a Southwest flight and going to the Colt museum in Yankeeville. Er- I mean Connecticut.

If you go there, you REALLY need to check out the original Springfield Armory while you're at it.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are going to be alone anyways. I would just as soon be on the beach as at home alone.

When I went thru it. I went and got my diving certification and went diving. In the evenings after diving just sit on the beach and drink a beer, read, and chillout. Eventually someone will interupt you and strike up a conversation. Never fells. Just hang out. I personally guarantee there are a lot more interesting things to watch and people to talk to being out than there are in your home. Doesn't have to be diving but any hobby that takes you to the locale you want to be in will help. I hope you get some relaxation in, it sounds like you need it.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bet you can fine a nice <25 female that would be willing to go to Hawaii for a few days.

I bet you've never seen me... lol.

But anyways. I don't think I'd want to take someone I just met or didn't know well. I am not the kind of guy who picks up women constantly, so even if I were capable, I wouldn't know how to act, and they would not likely be interested in the kinds of things I am interested in. Especially in that age bracket.

I guess I need to face it. I am old.

Now, if I flirt with someone I think is attractive, or hint maybe I'd like to know them better, I get the "Ewww, he's a creepy old pervy guy!" kinda vibe. Not to mention that meeting people at work for me is kinda frowned upon, even amongst the 0.005% of the population I see that would be... oh, let's just say, "my type."

You know - the type that bathes at least every few days, changes out of PJs before going in public, has no large noticeable gaps in the smile (or rotten chompers), has a job, kids are clean and well-behaved in public... I could go on.

But I won't.

Latest posts

Top Bottom