alzheimer's disease questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h8ns8n

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
absolutely have her schedule an appt. there are meds available now that if caught early enough they can drastically decrease the effects and even delay the advancment

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife is turning 46 next week. She's going thru menopause and she is very forgetful lately,and she readily admits it too. She just had a hysterectomy in September. Her grandmother is 89 and is still pretty alert and so is her mother, so we are pretty sure the menopause is causing her memory problems. Her gyno even told her she may have some memory problems due to the menopause. My grandmother had alzeimers and my 71 year old mother is getting there so its close to me in my family. My wife is driving her kids completely crazy with her memory problems. She will totally forget stuff they planned or talked about hours or the day before and then argue with them about it. I'm easier on her because I understand her,but theyre just kids.

Heres hoping you get it figured out.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you are paranoid at all. I would definitley get her checked out by a neurologist.
I lost my mother to alzeheimers last August. Believe me that disease is a ***** not only to the person suffering from it, but for family memebers.
Mom was 83 when she passed, but had the disease for 4 years.
Keep us posted.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB- Don't forget that you're dealing with your wife. Tread gently when you tell her that you want her to see a specialty Doc for something that concerns you, but might not be apparent to her.

No one likes to be told that there's something "wrong"/ they're broken, etc. with them. If she understands your concern and that you're not just labeling her, she'll be more likely to do what you ask.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They can test for it some how, they confirmed the diagnosis in my grand-pa earlier this year, and my great-grandpa had a severe case of it.

Any doctor who claims he can do this...

Take his diagnosis as little more than an educated guess based on a holistic analysis of symptoms. There are no tests for alzheimers. There are tests that can rule out other conditions with alzheimers like symptoms that may leave it as the only thing left but the only sure way to diagnose alzheimers is after death with an autopsy of the brain.

Brain ischemia, for example, has symptoms almost identical to alzheimers. Ischemia can be diagnosed accurately with an MRI. Ischemia can be controlled, maybe even reversed with proper diet and medication. Alzheimers cannot, though there are medications which can slow the onset.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Any doctor who claims he can do this...

Take his diagnosis as little more than an educated guess based on a holistic analysis of symptoms. There are no tests for alzheimers. There are tests that can rule out other conditions with alzheimers like symptoms that may leave it as the only thing left but the only sure way to diagnose alzheimers is after death with an autopsy of the brain.

Brain ischemia, for example, has symptoms almost identical to alzheimers. Ischemia can be diagnosed accurately with an MRI. Ischemia can be controlled, maybe even reversed with proper diet and medication. Alzheimers cannot, though there are medications which can slow the onset.

A PET scan is something else that should be looked into, it will give a better look as to whats going on. If there is anything questionable get in contact with the Mayo clinic, they will run a series of tests, and if they decide the possibilities of Alzhiemers is present they will offer to pay for all treatment, and all they ask for is her brain afterwards for testing. How do I know?? My mother was diagnosed in 1985 with Balint's syndrome, and her doctor referred her to the Mayo clinic. They came to the same dianosis, and this was also something that would manifest later into alzhiemers. They told my dad that if he would care for her at home(not in an old folks home, as alzhiemers paitents usually die from other things than alzhiemers itself) to the end, all medical costs would be covered by them as long as they got her brain to study in the end. They also provide a full description to the ME or other doctor who may perform the autopsy on how the brain is to be removed, stored, and shipped. If this is to be the case, then you REALLY need to get the book "The 36 Hour Day" it will tell you everything you need to know about caring for an alzhiemer patient at home. After my mothers diagnosis she lived till Nov 19th 2000. Its a tough job, and very few people I know would be up for that kind of task every day.

Devilsbcoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the others who say that you need to get her to a doctor. Don't put it off. Forgetting what you were going to say mid sentence can be indicative of other medical problems as well, some more serious than others. It is definitely something that needs to be addressed and the sooner the better. I wish you all the best.

Latest posts

Top Bottom