Another snake id please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

operator742

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are ya sure? All I ever heard about swallow the eggs whole, then wrap themselves around something to crush the shell. My brother said he found a dead one once that had swallowed a cold-cream jar.

They used to sell porcelain eggs to put in hens' nests to kill snakes. Some of the old timers even used porcelain doorknobs back when they were plentiful. ;)
Still do use fake eggs,last month we had a mother 2 days away from hatching a clutch of eggs and a chicken snake ate everyone out from under her. Needless to say when I found him curled up in the corner of the coup he lost his head.
There are only 4 native species of poisonous snakes in the US Rattlesnake,Copperhead, Cottonmouth,and Coral snake
cedf53f9a9a6372ee48d2460059b42d3.jpg

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still do, my buddy brought me out a few to "help" kill the snakes. I told him thanks and set them in the barn shop. I hate snakes, but need 'em, less the rats overtake the farm...
The porcalin eggs if you put them in a hens box will also help them lay I went and gathered eggs one morning after a bonfire the night before and accidentally grabbed the wrong egg and got my butt chewed out for beating on the counter trying to crack it open for breakfast lol

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't "do" snakes. Scare the bejeebus outta me. Try as I might I just can't deal. Could be because when I was a kid a big o' bull snake fell out of the rafters in the barn and landed on my head. My dad was no help at all. All he could do was roll around on the barn floor laughing. First time I ever cussed. Called my dad an *******. Got my ass beat. My dad didn't "spank" ... he BEAT the ever-loving fool outta me. It was kinda traumatic. Lol

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Farmers did the door knob thing all the time. If they had a good coop with the chicken wire covering all the openings, they would check the next and if the know was gone, they would look around the coop and find the snake. Snake can get out, but not with a door knob stuck in its neck.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you're saying there are only three of those indigenous to OK?

Whew! That's a relief.......

Still do use fake eggs,last month we had a mother 2 days away from hatching a clutch of eggs and a chicken snake ate everyone out from under her. Needless to say when I found him curled up in the corner of the coup he lost his head.
There are only 4 native species of poisonous snakes in the US Rattlesnake,Copperhead, Cottonmouth,and Coral snake

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

There are zero poisonous snakes in the USofA. There are venomous snakes though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom