Best chicken feed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
shut them in the hen house together for a few days and nights. be careful of the heat though. put two feeders in separate ends of the coop so that the old bitty can only guard one while the other is open.

Oh no. I don't think you understand. The 7 old bitties gang up on them and resource guard like CRAZY. I've never seen anything like it. I've had as many as 4 different places in the backyard with both feeders and waterers and watched those damned hens run the Little Girls off every single one of them like clockwork.

If I wasn't so pissed at them for creating so many problems for me I'd be fascinated at watching them work. Only thing I can think of is they worked out this system to keep sparrows and dove and the other wild birds out of "their stuff" and they are now using it on the Little Girls.

I will say this, now that the Little Girls are laying the Big Girls have seemed to lighten up a little bit. Instead of ganging up and giving the Little Girls a solid beatdown for any perceived infraction now they are just kinda squawking and giving them a sideways peck as the Little Girls run by them. I'm hoping by winter the Big Girls will be over their PMS or menopause or whatever is stuck up their asses and we can all stay in the coop together. And stay warm. Lol

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We feed ours a mix of layer pellets/crumble and scratch from the local feed store, dried worms for treats, and kitchen scraps. Oyster shell is also given. Our 50ish birds have fenced in 200'x60' yard so they get to chase plenty of live bugs.

cWPUEod.jpg

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We feed ours a mix of layer pellets/crumble and scratch from the local feed store, dried worms for treats, and kitchen scraps. Oyster shell is also given. Our 50ish birds have fenced in 200'x60' yard so they get to chase plenty of live bugs.

cWPUEod.jpg
warn and teach your children to not get face to face with any chicken. the chickens are famous for pecking an eyball. always causes severe pain pos blindness

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

cWPUEod.jpg
My wife's tend to fight over small garter snakes and they like it when I empty the pool skinner basket every morning

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best feed? Bugs and kitchen scraps.
Bag feed, Atwood’s or Co-Op layer pellets and chicken scratch.
Not a fan of National Name brands.

Add a little oyster shell, some meal worm treats. Take those kitchen scraps, canned veggies and fruits; put in freezer, give for a cool treat. They love it.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I raised my chicks on Nutrena Organic crumbles. It's seems to have worked out well for them. I've since switched over to a layer recipe. Since they've started laying I'm saving all the egg shells and mixing them in with feed rather than pay for oyster shells. I just bake them for a few mins until they're nice and dry and crush them up about the size of red pepper flakes. Mix that in with their feed and it's a good and cheap calcium source for them.

They're pretty much free range during the day and I can tell you they're wreaking havoc on the grasshopper and cricket population.

We only have 11 but they're consistently providing 5 to 7 eggs per day. We're gonna have more eggs than we know what to do with soon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom