Bud Light Lime a Rita

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
too bad the guy you talked to at the distributor told you wrong....

after searching for 3 minutes....

"The reason you cannot buy major domestic beer at Oklahoma liquor stores is because Budweiser, Coors and Miller all have a moratorium against Oklahoma regarding 5% beer. It issue is a law Oklahoma has on the books that does not allow alcoholic beverage manufacturers to franchise with liquor wholesale distributors. Oklahoma has what is called an open wholesale system, where beverage companies must sell to all wholesalers in the state on a same-price basis.

Because Coors, Miller and Anheuser-Busch require that a franchise agreement must be in place with a wholesale distributor, they are withholding strong beer sales in Oklahoma until the open wholesale system is abolished for a territorial franchise system, as it is in 48 other states.

The reason liquor stores sell Shiner Bock is because Shiner doesn't care about whether or not a state has an open wholesale system. Neither does Pabst, Stroh's or Samuel Adams, all domestic brewers.

The moratorium began in 1977 when strong Budweiser, Coors and Miller was being sold at Oklahoma liquor stores. A dispute between an Ardmore distributor and Coors went to court after Coors told the Ardmore distributor they already had someone else in Ardmore distributing Coors. The court ruled in 1976 that Coors must sell to the Ardmore distributor, or face a violation of the franchise ban. Coors ceased selling 5% beer in Oklahoma. Miller and A-B followed suit, as well as Schlitz.

So for the last 30 years, the big three and state have had a silent standoff, while the rest of Oklahoma grew obsessed with buying beer from Texas instead of fighting this ridiculous franchise ban. So, in a way, it is our own fault.

Utah liquor stores do not carry the big three domestic beers, but because the entire system is state-owned and controlled from top to bottom. And Salt Lake seems to be doing fine with the Utah Jazz.

Colorado, Kansas, Minnesota, Utah and Oklahoma require that any establishment other than a liquor store can only sell 3.2% ABW beer. Oh, and, ever wonder why Rolling Rock stopped selling in Oklahoma liquor stores? Because A-B bought the rights to distribute Rolling Rock. In turn, Rolling Rock disappears off the shelves."

I don't know for sure what is true but this story is very close to how it was explained to me several years ago by my local liquor store owner. As I understood what he was saying the state basically started a fight with Budweiser and the retribution was "NO BUD FOR YOU" (high octane obviously). The cold/hot rule was the state banning the sale of cold 3.2%+ beer or alcohol to keep people from buying anything high octane and immediately being able to consume it while driving which is just stupid. It's not the guy who just bought a cold 4.0% or higher beer and is driving home who's the dangerous one (although drinking and driving is bad no matter what). It's the guy who's been sitting at home drinking his cold beers and then decides to go driving who's the danger.

Oklahoma constantly shows it's ass as far as stupid and archaic laws that make the rest of the country just shake their heads and say "bless their hearts" which as we all know in the south US means "those poor special (slow, not so bright, simpletons) Oklahomans". Personally I find it embarrassing that so many of our laws make us look like that.

JPK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried, or I should say the wifey bought, some kind of pre-limed brew for me a cupla years back. :( Finally used it for target practice. :) I do like to add a slice of lime to a brewski every now and then.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW: I just bought two twelve packs to pay off a bet while I am here in Texas and they were "hot" sitting in an isle at Krogers in Little Elm. Headed back to Oklahoma to help a buddy whose auto repair business blew away in Moore, tomorrow. Are Lime a Rita auctions legal?

Latest posts

Top Bottom