Building my first AR. Need advice/opinions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bangbangbang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After looking at complete rifles, I've decided that I'd like to build my own AR...on a budget. I got the go-ahead from the boss (wife), so I've started doing research. There are so many options out there that my head is spinning. I need help.

I'm not looking to build an extreme, war-fighting, death dealer kind of rifle. I want to build a cheap, no frills gun. At this point, I'm really not sure what questions to ask.

.223 or 5.56?

Suggestions on stripped lowers, lower parts kits, uppers, barrels, etc.?

Hit me with what ya got.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.223 and 5.56 are basically the same round. If you get a barrel that will handle 5.56, you will have no problem with .223. If you are wanting to build what is now more commonly a "franken AR", there are several sources for parts and accessories. Be forewarned though that if you should decide to sell it later on, it will probably not have as much re-sale value as a "pure" factory manufactured gun.

Two places that have complete parts kits less lower receivers is M&A and Model1.

If you just want a plinker, throw around, beat up, truck gun and don't want to spend much money, that would be the way to go.

There are several members here on this board that can provide you with a lower receiver for a fair price.

Bushmaster produces a good DVD with step by step assembly instructions. They will talk about the tools you'll need and actually put out a pretty good video. Cost was $20.00 when I got mine.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The cheapest way to get into an AR is to order a lower from Essential Arms and then order a complete kit from someone like Del-ton or Model 1 Sales. Those are about as cheap and frill-less as you can get without buying a complete piece of garbage.

Bangbangbang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.223 and 5.56 are basically the same round. If you get a barrel that will handle 5.56, you will have no problem with .223. If you are wanting to build what is now more commonly a "franken AR", there are several sources for parts and accessories. Be forewarned though that if you should decide to sell it later on, it will probably not have as much re-sale value as a "pure" factory manufactured gun.

Two places that have complete parts kits less lower receivers is M&A and Model1.

If you just want a plinker, throw around, beat up, truck gun and don't want to spend much money, that would be the way to go.

There are several members here on this board that can provide you with a lower receiver for a fair price.

Bushmaster produces a good DVD with step by step assembly instructions. They will talk about the tools you'll need and actually put out a pretty good video. Cost was $20.00 when I got mine.

Exactly the kind of info I need. Thanks!

The cheapest way to get into an AR is to order a lower from Essential Arms and then order a complete kit from someone like Del-ton or Model 1 Sales. Those are about as cheap and frill-less as you can get without buying a complete piece of garbage.

Thanks for the manufacturer tips.

Oklahoma Stronghold

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just like you when I first started thinking about building my first AR. I just wanted something cheap. I didn't need something for the Green Berets or Navy Seals. After researching and thinking, however, I decided to spend a little more money, not a lot more, but a little and get something of a little more quality. You'll have the gun for the rest of your life and then give it to your kids. Might as well spend a couple hundred dollars more and know that you have something that will last. 14 years from now that couple of hundred bucks won't matter. You see what I'm saying? Even if you have to save and build as you go.
http://www.brownells.com/ also has vids you can watch online that show you how to completely build an AR for FREE!

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the brownells videos. They are awesome. They are split up into the different parts. Easy to follow. Its what I used to build mine. I was in your boat a couple of months ago. I would suggest reading up on the AR and knowing all of its parts before you do it. ARF.com also has a good build it guide. I got most of my stuff from BCM. I also got a few pieces from Ranier Arms. There are also some good people here to help. My first try here

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62143

You can also do some tradin (watch classifieds) with members of this forum.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hard to offer advice on what parts to get without knowing your budget. Just be aware you get what you pay for.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Absolutly, you get what you pay for. I've had more home built AR's come into my shop in the last 2 months than you can shake a stick at! Fail to either feed, fire, or eject and built of cheap junk at that! Spend a little extra now, you'll be glad you did later. :gun2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom