Building my first AR. Need advice/opinions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bangbangbang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hard to offer advice on what parts to get without knowing your budget. Just be aware you get what you pay for.

Absolutly, you get what you pay for. I've had more home built AR's come into my shop in the last 2 months than you can shake a stick at! Fail to either feed, fire, or eject and built of cheap junk at that! Spend a little extra now, you'll be glad you did later. :gun2:

I'd like to keep it under $500. Is that possible without having a piece of crap?

What's the shortest barrel/overall length allowed by law?

Looks like I'm stuck with an A2 upper due to budget?

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to keep it under $500. Is that possible without having a piece of crap?

What's the shortest barrel/overall length allowed by law?

Looks like I'm stuck with an A2 upper due to budget?
Under $500 isn't possible even if you went with the biggest pile of crap AR out there. You might be able to get close if you weren't picky and built it with used parts.

16" is the shortest barrel you can have on a rifle.

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
After reading what's involved in building the upper, I think I'll just buy a complete upper. Another member recommended RRA for complete uppers. Their mid-length A2 is $540 with the chrome-lined barrel. Any other manufacturers I should look at?

Like torquing a barrel nut? childrens toys are more difficult to assemble than ARs

Latest posts

Top Bottom