Can you identify this knife?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is one of the more rare pilots knives. The services issued the 5" blade as standard issue survival knives. The date of manufacture is usually on one of the faces of the bolt.

Simon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was over at my grandpas house looking for some tools and found this old knife. Any info is appreciated. It is 10.5" overall and the blade is 6"

View attachment 28799

View attachment 28800

Camillus made several different types of knives for the military in the '50 and '60, and possibly before. I have 2 folders marked Camillus from my Army days, one a linemans knife that came as a set with a pair of pliers, and a stainless steel boy scout type with can opener, screw driver, etc. I have not seen one like your pictures, but the knives were issued to specific job types. The linemans knife was issued to people who installed telephones, the boy scout type was issued to Rangers(I traded for it). The 82nd airborne all carried straight blade knives, but were purchased by the individual, and were many different brands. I would suspect that yours was was not made for the millitay, but was sold in a sporting goods store.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it is dated the markings would be on one of the flats of the hex head...

[Broken External Image]

Did you find it's sheath?, they were dated on back.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Blade length...

Vietnam Era Type No 4 Knife, better known as the Navy Pilot’s Survival Knife or Jet Pilot’s Survival Knife. The knife was originally designed in 1957 as a joint issue between the Navy Weapons Bureau and the Marbles Arms Company. As originally designed it had a 6”, saw back blade. In 1962, the knife was modified by reducing the blade to 5” in length. The post-1962 knives were produced by the Camillus Cutlery Company and Milpar during the Vietnam Era.

http://www.collegehillarsenal.com/shop/product.php?productid=724

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Blade length...

Vietnam Era Type No 4 Knife, better known as the Navy Pilot’s Survival Knife or Jet Pilot’s Survival Knife. The knife was originally designed in 1957 as a joint issue between the Navy Weapons Bureau and the Marbles Arms Company. As originally designed it had a 6”, saw back blade. In 1962, the knife was modified by reducing the blade to 5” in length. The post-1962 knives were produced by the Camillus Cutlery Company and Milpar during the Vietnam Era.

http://www.collegehillarsenal.com/shop/product.php?productid=724

nice find!

Latest posts

Top Bottom