Can you identify this knife?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it is dated the markings would be on one of the flats of the hex head...

Did you find it's sheath?, they were dated on back.

I found the sheath, it appears to be old enough to be original, but no dates

From the info above it seems it would be made between '57-'61.

I went back to my grandpas garage where I found the knife and I also found a list of his gun serial numbers. I own all but 1 so it sparked some curiosity.
It read : 45 model of 1911 US army #258591

That was enough for me to ask my mom about, the story is that my grandpa's brother brought it home from WWII and my cousin has it now. I'm gonna have to check it out next time I go down to Mississippi.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found the sheath, it appears to be old enough to be original, but no dates

From the info above it seems it would be made between '57-'61.

I went back to my grandpas garage where I found the knife and I also found a list of his gun serial numbers. I own all but 1 so it sparked some curiosity.
It read : 45 model of 1911 US army #258591

That was enough for me to ask my mom about, the story is that my grandpa's brother brought it home from WWII and my cousin has it now. I'm gonna have to check it out next time I go down to Mississippi.

I'd imagine with much use any markings could be worn off of the sheath. I'd double check the flats of the hex.
Regardless of details it's a nice old knife.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mother used to have one like that but she used it for digging in the garden with, no idea what ever happened to it but immagine we will find it burried where her garden used to be.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad had one when he was in the Air Force, I remember playing with it when I was young (I think it was issued to him when he went through some kind of survival school in the dessert). Looked very much like the OP's picture except the blade was shorter but it was made by Camillus. I'm not sure what the blade was made of but it bent far easier than I thought a knife blade should. A few years later my brother was prying something with it and bent the blade. While trying to bend it back the blade broke and, sadly, it was thrown away. I sure wish I had that knife now...my siblings have had a habit of not taking care of stuff like that so when I finally succeed in liberating something its condition has suffered.

Latest posts

Top Bottom