Coat help needed please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When my dad, uncle, and I were regularly attending high school playoff games, we were pretty much a walking Carhartt ad at the colder games. My dad and I wore their insulated overalls and jackets, and my uncle wore their insulated coveralls. Layers were the order of the day; if it was cold enough, I'd wear a Carhartt hoodie under the coat, but I usually had at least a sweatshirt under the jacket. Add a good pair of insulated boots and gloves, plus a good stocking cap, and you should be good to go.

One other thing to consider--bring something to sit on for insulation. If you're in the older concrete/rock stadiums, you can get by without it, but the newer stadiums with 'loomnum stands are giant heat sinks that will flat out suck the heat right out of your hindquarters. Anybody who watched HS playoff games in Stillwater prior to the renovation can attest to that...(Heck, it might still be that way; I just haven't been up there since then.)

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to only wear carharts but got a Columbia two layer coat this year. So much warmer and not nearly as bulky. I used to hate wearing my coat in the truck but I barely notice this one when I'm in the car. I still wear my carharts around the house and have one for hunting but my every day coat is the Columbia. I'd choose it for a sporting event.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to only wear carharts but got a Columbia two layer coat this year. So much warmer and not nearly as bulky.

I was just coming in here to say the same thing. I use Carharts for work, but I'm moving and active when doing so.

I have a two piece Columbia that has lasted me for over 10 years. It has a fleece/stuffed liner and a removable shell. The shell is a great windbreaker for spring/rain use and the two combined are insanely warm.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I work outside all year and six years ago I bought one of these http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...eByFilter=AllProducts&No=0&Ntt=Dry+plus+coats love it. Durable and warm. Water resistant a tad heavy though. When it's real cold (when I go somewhere besides oklahoma) I either take this http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...=Goose+down&search=Search&No=0&Ntt=Goose+down light weight insanely warm also or this if it's cold and I need a nicer looking coat it's hard to beat a real wool coat all of my hunting outerwear is wool but this is my go to good coat http://www.stormykromer.com/mens/outerwear/the-town-coat?options=cart. Carhartts are fine I don't find them that durable two or three winters maximum but I'm hard on cclot clothes.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just coming in here to say the same thing. I use Carharts for work, but I'm moving and active when doing so.

I have a two piece Columbia that has lasted me for over 10 years. It has a fleece/stuffed liner and a removable shell. The shell is a great windbreaker for spring/rain use and the two combined are insanely warm.

+2!!!

Columbia does a great job basing layers. I wore one for the last few years. Liked it enough I finally bit the bullet and moved on to north face. Thinner but warmer layers, makes Columbia feel bulky.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+2!!!

Columbia does a great job basing layers. I wore one for the last few years. Liked it enough I finally bit the bullet and moved on to north face. Thinner but warmer layers, makes Columbia feel bulky.

I prefer Marmot gear over north face.

To the OP top your gear with a good hat. I have a mountain hardwear Dome Perignone I wear on the bike when the temps drop below 50 and the knit cap doesn't cut it anymore.

Layers are the key to warmth one giant coat never does as good as proper layers.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
layering keeps me warm. i like nylon shell with liner. also like coats that are below waist in length, keeps me warmer. i like the goose down coats, light and warm but not that many around now i don't think.

coveralls keep a lot of warmth in.

i have a warm Woolrich hunting jacket.

Latest posts

Top Bottom