Colorado Becomes First State to End Marijuana Prohibition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Blood THC levels after smoking pot are useless in defining “too high to drive”
May 10, 2016
cdn.arstechnica.net_wp_content_uploads_2016_05_4446135487_4da59f6f2c_z_640x618.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jmsmi...list-7LTBbp-7LXz61-84NVpo-7LXzaG-7P1xcd-6JHvz
Measuring ‘drunk’ is pretty easy; the more alcohol someone drinks, the more alcohol shows up in that person’s blood and the more impaired that person becomes, falling somewhere on a scale of tipsy to wasted. Measuring ‘high,’ on the other hand, is far hazier—much to the dismay of some states' law enforcement.

Blood tests that try to quantify marijuana use are in fact useless at assessing how impaired a driver is, according to a study by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. In other words, the study found that people with low blood amounts of THC—or delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, the main psychoactive component of pot—may still act as if they’re really stoned. On the other hand, some people may have THC measurements off the charts yet still act normally.

The finding is critical because several states have already set legal limits for the amount of THC a person can have in their blood while driving. AAA concluded that such limits are “arbitrary and unsupported by science, which could result in unsafe motorists going free and others being wrongfully convicted for impaired driving.”

For the study, AAA researchers combed through arrest records for impaired driving as well as results from toxicology tests and Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) exams. This exam includes roadside sobriety tests such as walking and turning, standing on one foot, and nose touching.

The researchers compared the DRE exam results of 602 drivers that only had THC present in their blood at the time of arrest to those of 349 volunteers that took the test drug-free and sober. First, the researchers confirmed that the pot-smoking drivers did worse on the exam than sober folks. For instance, 55.5 percent of drug-free people passed the walk-and-turn test perfectly, while only six percent of the pot smokers managed that.

But, when the researchers looked for a link between DRE exam scores and the level of blood THC, the connection went up in smoke. In the 602 pot-smoking drivers, THC levels ranged from 1 to 47 nanograms per millilitre of blood. While higher THC levels did seem to correlate with more errors on the nose-touch test, error rates on the other tests had no such association with THC levels.

Likewise, when the researchers looked for a link between error rates and having THC levels above or below 5 ng/mL—the legal limit in Colorado, Washington, and Montana—they also found no clear difference.

The authors noted that of the drivers that failed the sobriety tests, 80 percent had THC levels of 1 ng/mL or greater. Yet, of those that passed the tests, 30 percent also had THC levels of 1 ng/mL or greater. “Based on this analysis, a quantitative threshold for per se laws for THC following cannabis use cannot be scientifically supported,” the study authors concluded.

The conclusion echoes that of other researchers that also noted no correlation between blood THC levels and impairment. The disconnection may be linked to the fact that THC is quickly metabolized, and its presence in blood can depend on both the dose and a person's usage patterns. Infrequent smokers tend to see quick drops in blood THC levels, while regular users may sustain higher THC levels for longer.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is an interesting issue. I've always wondered how this works for other things besides alcohol. I asked a co-worker once who was ex-police if or how he could issue a DUI to someone wacked out on pain meds or similar. He just reassured me there are ways he can tell if someone is not right and it would have been up to his discretion. :anyone:

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"He just reassured me there are ways he can tell if someone is not right and it would have been up to his discretion."

Of course he would say that,,,
The "ways" are just his personal opinion,,,
The "discretion" asks has he met his quota for the month.

They get away with it because they can't be challenged,,,
They are "trained" and we are not.

I don't hate cops at all,,,
After all they are people just like me.

What I hate is the arbitrary authority they have "assumed",,,
And their willingness (or eagerness in some cases),,,
To ruin someone's life simply because they can.

Aarond

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May 10, 2016
cdn.arstechnica.net_wp_content_uploads_2016_05_4446135487_4da59f6f2c_z_640x618.jpg

Measuring ‘drunk’ is pretty easy; the more alcohol someone drinks, the more alcohol shows up in that person’s blood and the more impaired that person becomes, falling somewhere on a scale of tipsy to wasted. Measuring ‘high,’ on the other hand, is far hazier—much to the dismay of some states' law enforcement.

Blood tests that try to quantify marijuana use are in fact useless at assessing how impaired a driver is, according to a study by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. In other words, the study found that people with low blood amounts of THC—or delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, the main psychoactive component of pot—may still act as if they’re really stoned. On the other hand, some people may have THC measurements off the charts yet still act normally.

The finding is critical because several states have already set legal limits for the amount of THC a person can have in their blood while driving. AAA concluded that such limits are “arbitrary and unsupported by science, which could result in unsafe motorists going free and others being wrongfully convicted for impaired driving.”

For the study, AAA researchers combed through arrest records for impaired driving as well as results from toxicology tests and Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) exams. This exam includes roadside sobriety tests such as walking and turning, standing on one foot, and nose touching.

The researchers compared the DRE exam results of 602 drivers that only had THC present in their blood at the time of arrest to those of 349 volunteers that took the test drug-free and sober. First, the researchers confirmed that the pot-smoking drivers did worse on the exam than sober folks. For instance, 55.5 percent of drug-free people passed the walk-and-turn test perfectly, while only six percent of the pot smokers managed that.

But, when the researchers looked for a link between DRE exam scores and the level of blood THC, the connection went up in smoke. In the 602 pot-smoking drivers, THC levels ranged from 1 to 47 nanograms per millilitre of blood. While higher THC levels did seem to correlate with more errors on the nose-touch test, error rates on the other tests had no such association with THC levels.

Likewise, when the researchers looked for a link between error rates and having THC levels above or below 5 ng/mL—the legal limit in Colorado, Washington, and Montana—they also found no clear difference.

The authors noted that of the drivers that failed the sobriety tests, 80 percent had THC levels of 1 ng/mL or greater. Yet, of those that passed the tests, 30 percent also had THC levels of 1 ng/mL or greater. “Based on this analysis, a quantitative threshold for per se laws for THC following cannabis use cannot be scientifically supported,” the study authors concluded.

The conclusion echoes that of other researchers that also noted no correlation between blood THC levels and impairment. The disconnection may be linked to the fact that THC is quickly metabolized, and its presence in blood can depend on both the dose and a person's usage patterns. Infrequent smokers tend to see quick drops in blood THC levels, while regular users may sustain higher THC levels for longer.

we caught an NPR segment about this the other day while traveling. It was interesting to note that frequency of use played a big part in the issue because heavy users can test higher than the limit but not be high. Whereas an infrequent user could be below but stoned.

i think it was AAA that did the study and were advocating for more witness-based ways of determining things. I.e. a trained leg who evaluates the person after erratic driving instead of a blood test alone.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is an interesting issue. I've always wondered how this works for other things besides alcohol. I asked a co-worker once who was ex-police if or how he could issue a DUI to someone wacked out on pain meds or similar. He just reassured me there are ways he can tell if someone is not right and it would have been up to his discretion. :anyone:
I have woke up many times the next morning from having had to take a Xanax to get some sleep and I was still ****ed up the next morning being the half life of those things are like 12 hours. Pot, never had that problem the next morning, or even after a nap; alcohol either even with a bad hangover the next day I can still function fairly normally. Not those damn Xanaxs tho. And I dont like pain meds or have had any need to take them so no idea what theyre like.

Found this:
Drug metabolism is affected by many variables - age, smoking status, other drugs, liver function, kidney function etc- so there is no exact number for the time it takes for a drug to be eliminated from the body. Most drugs have what is called an "elimination half life" which is the time it takes for the drug to reach half of its pharmacologic activity. (For Xanax its about 11.2 hours. The mean plasma elimination half-life of Xanax is reported to be 11.2 hours. The full range is from 6.3 to 26.9 hours in healthy adults. For a drug to be totally eliminated from your system it takes 5.5 times the half life. If we take the maximum time of 26.9 hours times 5.5, it will be in your system for approximately 148 hours i.e. 6 days, after your final dose).

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always thought drivers with CDLs sort of get the shaft by being required to submit to a drug screening after being involved in an accident but all the non-CDL drivers aren't required to do the same.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Recently some "dude" was smoking and drinking and hit some young highschool recent graduate and killed her. I think the article said he was illegal. That is the problem, drinking and using marijuana-it's trouble.

Latest posts

Top Bottom