Cost to run a generator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT708

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Believe it or not it was from harbor freight the silver colored one.
I bought mine back in the year 2000 and they do not make that one anymore.
Mine has 2 plug in's and the new one has 3 and some sort of phone charger plug in.

4000 peak 2000 continuous.
I ran a chop saw cutting rebar at the same time running a 1/2" drill drilling 3 foot deep holes into railroad ties.
It did just fine. I also ran a 5000 btu window unit with it and my Mig welder on gas. which ran better on it than it did plugged into my friends house with 50 foot of 12 gauge extension cord.
That 110 mig is a Lincoln weld pack 100. His house would not run it at all just BB's For weld.

Buddy had a 1000 watt honda gas generator and was cutting 2/4's with a circular saw and the saw bogged once it got into the wood, I ran a long cord to his saw and it zipped right through .

Some of his buddies there went right to harbor freight and bought the same one.

This is what they sell now.

2000 Watt Continuous/4000 Watt Peak Modified Sine Wave Power Inverter
Swampratt

Thank you very much for your response. I will look into one of those

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 10K dual fuel, that I usually run on propane, but haven't done any cost figures on it. I haven't needed to run it for more than an hour since I got it, so moot point. I bought the dual fuel after the polar vortex and I couldn't start my old gas only generator at 5 degrees F. Made for an unhappy wife when that happened.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just checked the oil in the 20kw Kohler. It’s been 94.9 hours of runtime so far. The oil dropped below the add mark. I added about 3 pints or .75 qts.

Kohler recommends checking the oil between every 8-24 hours.

Last I heard, power is estimated to be returned by 1700 on Sunday.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Neighbor got behind on his electric bill and they shut off his power.
He has a whole house Generac on natural gas and ran that for 2 weeks this was a month ago.
I asked him how much the bill was and he said $450 for that gas bill.

Ouch.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see my ONG bill has arrived.

1688044240052.png

The adjusted amount, that I took last year's June usage out of the equation, these are the estimated costs to run the generator:

$24.51 per day
$1.02 per hour

1688045755079.png

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grumpy said that too but I never lost power here. Thank goodness. I'm gonna be pissed if they shut off my power while the plumber is here working. 😡

Second day in a row Grumpy has texted me saying people have come into the store complaining about their power cycling off for a bit. Weird ... Nothing like that here, thank Goodness!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom