Death Penalty - Execution method poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Death Penalty Method Choice

• Lethal Injection

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Electrocution

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Gas Chamber

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Firing Squad

Votes: 33 22.1%
  • Hanging

Votes: 49 32.9%
  • Other (Leave Comment)

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • Life Sentence Only - Don't Support Death Penalty

Votes: 20 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not fer it.

Some people deserve to die, but I don't trust the system to make the call. I don't trust cops, I don't trust DA's, I don't trust judges, and I don't trust jurors that much. They get it wrong plenty, as illustrated by the number of people exonerated. Death is an irrevocable penalty, and no amends can be made if it is done in error.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not fer it.

Some people deserve to die, but I don't trust the system to make the call. I don't trust cops, I don't trust DA's, I don't trust judges, and I don't trust jurors that much. They get it wrong plenty, as illustrated by the number of people exonerated. Death is an irrevocable penalty, and no amends can be made if it is done in error.

I totally agree with you in most cases. I've read the book about the two guys that went to death row in Pottawattamie county, and went on death row, only to be found innocent years later. Their lives went into a down spiral afterward, yet even with the reversal, the DA that I think is still in office went after them for every minor offence he could throw at them.

I believe the book written about this is "The innocent man" by John Grisham.

If the criminal is caught in the act, and there is irrefutable evidence, (Denver movie shooting), upon being convicted should be hanged that day. Unfortunately, by the shooters design, he will likely be given a sentence to a mental health organization and be deemed "rehabilitated" after a period of time.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say those convicted and sentenced to death get 5 years with a limit of appeals to one a year. They can move it up to before 5 years if they'd like (the inmate themselves).

As for method, something cheap. Like firing squad or guillotine. I do agree that people have done horrible things and might deserve some horrible death, but I personally can't have any part of that. It all comes to the same end so just get there and do it cheaply. It's the main reason I dislike the death penalty so much in today's culture, the expense is unbelievable.

ETA: in cases where there is irrefutable evidence and/or caught in the act I would be OK with moving up the cease to physically exist date to 6 months after conviction. I say that because I think some time to reflect on the full force of their actions is sometimes extremely distressing to the criminal and they may take their own life. Let them.

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hang them.
The death penalty cost so much cause we litigate it to death.
Convicted murders......gotta put them down.
Can't risk them getting out.

Anybody besides me remember ruiz, Denton., Dennis and Lancaster.?
They are poster children for the death penalty especially AFTERthey escaped.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I chose hanging but with absolute positive proof that this person did the crime. Too many innocent people are in prison or have been executed in the past. I would also be a fan of a one way trip to Mars to empty out our prisons of those on death row or those with a life without parole sentence.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First, let me say that i totally agree that there are people in our world who don't deserve to live nor add anything to our society. That said, the system is too imperfect for such a permanent action.

As others have said, how many people have been proven innocent years later? We keep talking about being absolutely sure about a person's guilt, but what does that really mean? When convicted, i suspect that the jury was absolutely sure. Same with many others.

Yet years later we found out that the DNA evidence was processed by someone who screwed up, didn't care or just flat out lied to bolster their own career. Or that the prosecutor withheld evidence. Or worse yet, the eye witness who identified the wrong person as the man who raped her. All of these things have happened.

Again, i know there are times when we do know the truth about what happened. I just also know that there are more times where we convince ourselves that we know the truth, only to be wrong because of incomplete or incorrect information.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you support use of the death penalty?

Yes - it's the only tool society has for terminating unacceptable behavior with a proven near-100% success rate.

If so, do you believe that there is a preferred method of execution?

Mine or someone else's? If the latter, I don't have any preference - dead is dead. If the former, none of the above - I'd prefer to be blown up.

I ask that all flippant comments be reserved for some other thread...

I'm serious.

Latest posts

Top Bottom