Death Penalty - Execution method poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Death Penalty Method Choice

• Lethal Injection

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Electrocution

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Gas Chamber

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Firing Squad

Votes: 33 22.1%
  • Hanging

Votes: 49 32.9%
  • Other (Leave Comment)

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • Life Sentence Only - Don't Support Death Penalty

Votes: 20 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember though that there's no going back once you've executed someone. You can't say, "Oops, sorry about the prosecutorial misconduct and wrongful conviction. Here's your life back."

Absolute immunity takes care of that.

https://www.google.com/#q=prosecutorial+misconduct+absolute+immunity&undefined=undefined

And it doesn't happen that often right?

2011 update

I thought some of you may be interested in these statistics from the Innocence Project, which has now had some 100 death sentences overturned based upon post-conviction evidence. According to their study of the first 70 cases reversed:
•Over 30 of them involved prosecutorial misconduct.
•Over 30 of them involved police misconduct which led to wrongful convictions.
•Approximately 15 of them involved false witness testimony.
•34% of the police misconduct cases involved suppression of exculpatory evidence. 11% involved evidence fabrication.
•37% of the prosecutorial misconduct cases involved suppression of exculpatroy evidence. 25% involved knowing use of false testimony.

http://caught.net/innoc.htm

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/innocence-and-death-penalty

Blackstone's ratio etc.,

The principle is much older than Blackstone's formulation, being closely tied to the presumption of innocence in criminal trials. An early example of the principle appears in the Bible (Genesis 18:23-32),[1][2] as:

Abraham drew near, and said, "Will you consume the righteous with the wicked? What if there are fifty righteous within the city? Will you consume and not spare the place for the fifty righteous who are in it?[3] ... What if ten are found there?" He [The Lord] said, "I will not destroy it for the ten's sake."[4]

The 12th-century legal theorist Maimonides, expounding on this passage as well as Exodus 23:7 ("the innocent and righteous slay thou not") argued that executing an accused criminal on anything less than absolute certainty would progressively lead to convictions merely "according to the judge's caprice. Hence the Exalted One has shut this door" against the use of presumptive evidence, for "it is better and more satisfactory to acquit a thousand guilty persons than to put a single innocent one to death."[1][5][6]

Sir John Fortescue's De Laudibus Legum Angliae (c. 1470) states that "one would much rather that twenty guilty persons should escape the punishment of death, than that one innocent person should be condemned and suffer capitally."

Similarly, on 3 October 1692, while decrying the Salem witch trials, Increase Mather adapted Fortescue's statement and wrote, "It were better that Ten Suspected Witches should escape, than that one Innocent Person should be Condemned."[7]

Blackstone's Commentaries[edit]

While compiling his highly influential set of books on English common law, William Blackstone expressed the famous ratio this way:

“ All presumptive evidence of felony should be admitted cautiously; for the law holds it better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent party suffer.[8] ”

This variation was absorbed by the British legal system, becoming a maxim by the early 19th century.[9] It was also absorbed into American common law, cited repeatedly by that country's Founding Fathers, later becoming a standard drilled into law students all the way into the 21st century.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackstone's_formulation

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While stationed in Korea in the 70's, I witnessed public hangings. There were about a thousand people in the city square. The three were convicted of Theft and murder in the commission of the theft.

It wasn't pretty. I know that a hangmans knot that is properly tied is supposed to snap the neck and death is instant, but these guys struggled for awhile.

Intentional or not, I can't say.

IMHO that made a huge impression on me, so much that I pretty much turned my errant ways around.

For the OP and the poll, I voted hang em'.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find an idea of deciding who gets to live and who gets die via vote appalling. On personal level I can see justified death in self defense, retaliation or even vengeance. But as a society - I just don't think we are fully morally evolved to make such decisions; less then 100 years ago it was OK to kill people based on color of their skin.

SoonerDVM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am pro-death penalty, but with the number of false convictions, it had better be a sure thing. No question, no doubt.

As for the method, as long as it follows that whole inconvenient "cruel and unusual" thing, I'm cool with it. I've euthanized enough animals to be certain that pentobarbital is a quick, effective, and painless method. I'm fine with that.

CastleB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hang them once a month. Just like in the old days. Let families bring a picnic lunch and show the kids what happens to people who hurt others.

For the purpose of this poll I voted to hang. Not opposed to firing squad method. I definitely agree with it being a public display to discourage others from repeating the same crimes.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Firing Squad/Hanging. Public of course, we still have the hanging tree on the court house square in Marshall County. Offenders shouldn't be sitting 20+ years sucking up air/resources. They should get appeal hearing, and if found guilty still, fast march to the hanging tree. Pedophiles should get special executions, slow and painful. Child Molestation should be a capital crime, they are sick animals and should be put down. It's not a mental illness, they are a extreme danger to children.

zoomaster1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe in "an eye for an eye", Islamic Law etc. Whatever the victim had to endure before death, the perp should endure before his. 72 hrs. max to get affairs in order (victim didn't get this one), then sentence carried out. END OF STORY!

Latest posts

Top Bottom