Deterring a Dog from Digging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The chicken wire idea works very well, but it a major PITA to put in place.

We had a problem with our GSD digging - the answer was a pet-safe electric fence. Just a single wire running about 6 inches off the ground, 2 inches out from the fence (attached to the fence). It's low enough that the next time he tried to dig, the tops of his front legs 'completed the circuit' - hasn't tried to dig again in over a year.

In fact, he won't go near the fence now. I'm good with that.

If the dogs move to the interior of the property and start digging, I'd revisit the cayenne pepper thing. We tried that, didn't work. He didn't care. We could always tell when he had been digging because he'd lay on the living room floor and lick his lips incessantly or come in and drink an entire bowl of water. Not sure he ever made the connection between "My mouth is on fire" and "I just dug half way to china" With the electric fence, the negative reinforcement was immediate and definite!

If you go that route, make sure and get a PET SAFE version. the cattle fence's are WAY too much power for pets. It absolutely will hurt your pet.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dog botties. Try to find the thicker ones that the Iditarod runners use. After we put those on the dog we had in Oklahoma it quit digging. The ones with velcro seemed to stay the most secure.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Brother...it was 30+ years ago. ..

It was the kind designed for hunting dogs and on the collar where rhe two shocking prongs pointed out...just above that or below the probes was two holes. In those holes, you placed a little prong with a chip on it...each one was increased or decreased strength.

My dad would offer me and my cousin 20 bucks if we'd grab hold and let him shock us...it came with a little light bulb to attach and you could see if it was working.

Me...I chickened out, my cousin took the challange. Good guy but a true nitwit...

Well, he grabbed hold and my dad pressed the button...but my goober cousin fell to the ground and KEPT HOLDING ON TO THE COLLAR???!!!

My dad and I were laughing so hard...my cousin looked like he was having a seizure..rolling and cussing and screaming..why he didn let go..Lord have mercy..I don't know. After about 30 -45 seconds..he finally let go...with two little burned marks on his hand.

Ask a veternarian if you can borrow a collar and if he/she knows any hunters who would loan you one.

***you are correct*** You have to shock them when they're in the process.

eyecyou

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tried the pepper trick n my dogs just thought i was flavorin the dirt for em, same with the no chew crap. Found chicken wire to be the only solution

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
***if you do the collar treatment** Make sure all your gates are closed amd he can't jump on something to jump over the fence

I've seen dogs go spread eagle and stay put and I've seen dogs run like they've been struck in the a** ...

So be careful or you may be paying for a collar unit..

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the 2 deer that I killed last season, I saved the leg bones for him. He chewed the heck out of them then started chewing on the firewood. I don't really care that he chews on the firewood. Yeah, he gets bored easy, but he gets a lot of attention from my daughter and wife who are home all day with him.

During lunch, I filled in the two holes he re-dug since yesterday. One I mixed a decent about of his digestive leftovers in with and the other I sprinkled cayenne on. Now, to see what happens. I wouldn't mind having a collar on hand for while we duck hunt.

FakeHuman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're having problems with our dogs digging up the flower beds, mostly because they're damp from watering and it's a cool place to lay during the heat of the day. (All outside dogs). We've tried various repellents including their poop, and nothing has worked. These dogs have many places to go lay in the shade, and I've tried watering down large areas under the trees, as well as supplying a small pool for them to get into, but they still prefer the darn flower beds. The only thing I've not tried is the shock collars, but as you said you have to catch them in the act for that to work. Also, my wife and kids are totally against getting the shock collars anyway. If you find something that actually works, let us know, good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom