Firearm transaction red flags?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is actually somewhat amusing,,,

Basically the moral of this story is,,,
If/when I ever list a gun of mine for sale,,,
Most here shouldn't even consider making an offer.

My feelings won't be hurt at all.

Aarond

Thanks for the heads up and and saving me the time on even opening your ads.

Maybe you should run all your sales through a FFL to protect yourself.

I'll never give a stranger my personal info. Hell, I've never given a FFL my info. Maybe I'm a paranoid nut also.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the easy way to not have problems is don't sell guns. And don't buy from non FFL's who wants somebody else's dirty old gun anyway. It's kinda like taking somebodys ex-wife. If she was that good he'd kept her. :rotflmao:

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the easy way to not have problems is don't sell guns. And don't buy from non FFL's who wants somebody else's dirty old gun anyway. It's kinda like taking somebodys ex-wife. If she was that good he'd kept her. :rotflmao:

I prefer used guns because there is no way for "the man" to know I own it. One reason I wouldn't be signing any of Aarond's crazy bills of sale nonsense. I don't even like knowing that there is a record of me purchasing a lower for my AR through an FFL.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's an old habit from when early 1990's vintage chat-boards didn't have any formatting other than a line break.

Kind of like a 3-dot ellipsis but used to break up long blocks of text.

Like I said,,,
Old habit.

Aarond

Oh that's interesting. I wasn't even in my teens in the early 90s! I didn't even start getting online until around 99. Thanks for the explanation.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer used guns because there is no way for "the man" to know I own it. One reason I wouldn't be signing any of Aarond's crazy bills of sale nonsense. I don't even like knowing that there is a record of me purchasing a lower for my AR through an FFL.

There are ways for them to find out. They would have to go to a lot of trouble, but if a gun was used in a crime they would make the effort.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Sig a few years ago, and after a couple of months decided I didn't like it and traded it to an individual at a gun show in Tulsa. A year or two after that I got a letter from an ATF agent in Hawaii asking about the gun. It had been found at a crime scene and they were tracing it. All I told him was that I remembered the gun, could not remember the dealer where I bought it, and had no record of who I traded it to. A week or so later I got a letter from the agent, thanking me for the quick response. Never heard another thing about it. No records are better than going to extremes.

Some of these comments sound like the crazy "background check" requirements in Washington state since their recent vote.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep records of every gun I have ever owned,,,
When I sell a gun I try to obey the law.

I have the name of every person I've sold/traded to since the year of 1968,,,
If they won't show me some picture ID to get their name from,,,
I won't sell or trade with them.

I've always told them up front about this absolute requirement,,,
I'm amazed that so many people try to refuse me at the time of the deal.

I am paranoid about becoming an accidental felon,,,
Then losing my rights to own a fieryarm.

I'm even more amazed that people will blithely ask me to take that risk.

Aarond

That seems to be a fairly common attitude,,,
So we will never be able to do a deal.

I absolutely do not care if anyone thinks it's insulting,,,
In fact, in this matter I could not possibly care less.

My wanting to see some picture ID is a prophylactic measure,,,
And I tell people before we meet that I'll want to see it.

My gripe is that knowing that requirement,,,
They still schedule a meet and try to renege on their promise.

And yes, I've walked away from the cold green cash.

I refuse to take the risk of selling to an iffy person,,,
The consequences are just too dire for me to take any risks.

I tried to sell an old used car to a man two years ago,,,
He brought me the $400.00 in cash,,,
I had asked for a money order.

I also asked him to sign a bill of sale,,,
When he refused (and I had informed him of this) I called the deal off.

My pop sold a truck a few years back by taking the cash and signing the title,,,
Years later he was hit with close to $500 in parking tickets and a tow bill,,,
Because the buyer never took the title to the tag agency for transfer.

If Pop would have had a bill of sale with signature,,,
That would have convinced the powers-that-were he wasn't the owner any more.

Guns are a different thing altogether,,,
But the same basic principle applies to the sale.

I want something to ensure I can prove when I gave up ownership of the gun and to who.

So if we can't ever do business,,,
That's okay because there I someone else I can deal with.

Aarond

Please state the federal or state statute that makes it a "felony" or lists these "dire consequences" for selling a gun in a private sale to someone you did not know was prohibited.

Also, state the statute that shows where an un-notarized bill of sale is considered "proof" in any court of law. Using your idea of a bill of sale as "proof", it would be simple for me to pull up in your driveway, write down the VIN number of your car on a bill of sale, sign it, have my buddy forge your name, and then ring your doorbell and demand you turn over "my" car. You can call the cops, but I have "proof" that you sold it to me with the bill of sale, right? You could argue that the signature is not yours, but then that could happen on your firearm bill of sale too, couldn't it?

Look, I am not for selling to a prohibited person at all, my point is that you are worrying about being charged for something that would never happen and that your un-notarized bill of sale is no proof at all.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up and and saving me the time on even opening your ads.

Maybe you should run all your sales through a FFL to protect yourself.

I'll never give a stranger my personal info. Hell, I've never given a FFL my info. Maybe I'm a paranoid nut also.

How did this happen?

Until Glock came out with that damn Blue Label Program, I could say the same thing. And joining this board and enjoying playing with AR's. Until both these instances, I had never bought from a FFl in my life.

Latest posts

Top Bottom