Flashlight question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well FenixOutfitters shows out of stock for the PD20, so I just ordered one on ebay along with some cree upgrades for my G2/6P. I want a TK12, so I'll probably hit up Fenix Outfitters for one of those when I get done with the big W show.

I'm looking at picking up a Quark Tactical 123 and a Quark Mini next.

I'm dumping a few flashlights in the non-firearms classifieds because I've got too many flashlights and need to clear out some room, but I'm really wanting to give the micro LEDs a try so I've got a couple more to go and then I'll probably keep them all or just get rid of the ones that are sort of redundant.

We'll see how it goes - Langston, I just hit that link for the Maratac, it looks pretty impressive for such a tiny little guy. He might have made the list as well.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
four sevens and I joined candlepower forums about the same time.
four sevens was one of the original distributors for Fenix and was instrumental in transfer of flashlight technologies from CPF to Fenix.

our little group was the world's first to adopt individual li-on cells for consumer use. lots of explosions and fires resulted from cheap/substandard li-ion chargers.

a cpf'er JSB (Jon Burley) mortgaged his house to finance world's first protected CR123 li-on cell. the resulting CR123 cells finally came in barely functioning and JSB lost his shirt. The Chinese promptly ripped off technology used to make first CR123 li-on and the rest is history.

I've been thinking about exactly how many lumens I really need and what trade-offs I'm willing to give up in size/power. I think I'd like the option of having an hour or so of 60+ lumens should I absolutely need it.

I'm not a fan of AA or AAA powered flashlights in EDC or for storing for long periods of time because I tend to like the extra duration/power of the CR123-powered versions and to me it seems like the AA and AAA versions don't last when sitting around for a while (like in a survival kit) unless you get the higher end lithium versions (which aren't cheaper than CR123s).

I will say that I'm impressed with those 4Sevens lights and am looking pretty hard at the Quark-123 Tactical-R5 and the Quark-123 Mini.

Fenix seems to have a few that interest me (PD10, PD20, LD15), but I'm still looking around.

Thanks for the input!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just registered with Candlepowerforums - I thought I was a member there like 5 years ago (but I've not logged in for several years - maybe my account was deleted, or maybe I'm just crazy and never actually registered).

I could have sworn I posted there once a very long time ago though - oh well.

Those are some flashlight geeks man, I thought I geeked out on certain things, but holy crap I've got a lot to learn about flashlights.

Trying to decide on whether or not to go ahead and order the 4Seven light(s) or wait until this Fenix gets here. Might be on the lookout for some 4Seven lights at the show tomorrow, who knows.

MiniTech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You know, I've been a member of candle power for a while but never posted over there. Figured I'd ask over here to start me off (I've not done any research on modern day led flashlights).

Budget is under $100 for now.

Appreciate the info (oh and if I get a Fenix, I planned on supporting our sponsor).

I could be mistaken but I remember something about fenix-store.com and 4sevens.com being sister sites or the same owner. Couldn't hurt to ask.

MiniTech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Also if you do get one of the cr123 lights and you get into the protected rechargeable li-ion batteries check these links for a decent setup. Aw batteries are good quality and more affordable. I use them with an ultra fire charger and never had a problem. I read that the pila charger is best. Also before you mess with these batteries know what your dealing with. Little bombs. I don't have any direct links to some info but I can tell you to do a search on candlepowerforums.com and you are going to find truck loads of it. But for batteries and charger this is pretty much as good as it gets quality speaking. Unless I've missed something.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1236

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info...d=201&osCsid=93b3f9c9605fbccae7106a1019d5a498

http://www.pila-usa.com/images/Pila_Batteries_Brochure.PDF

OKWalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by that Quark Mini also. Looks like it's as bright as my PD20, uses the same battery, but looks smaller. If you own one, give us the skinny!

A Quark Mini-123 lives on my keychain. Small, super bright, multiple modes - what else can you ask for on a keychain flashlight?

Latest posts

Top Bottom