Flashlight question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't need a lot of power then I say keep the light as small as possible. There is a new light made by ITP that is a "must have" as stated by many of the flashlight experts and it is only about 20 bucks on Ebay. It is very tiny and runs on one AAA battery and has low/med/high modes and is perfect for the keychain and pretty dang bright.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't need a lot of power then I say keep the light as small as possible. There is a new light made by ITP that is a "must have" as stated by many of the flashlight experts and it is only about 20 bucks on Ebay. It is very tiny and runs on one AAA battery and has low/med/high modes and is perfect for the keychain and pretty dang bright.

I've been thinking about exactly how many lumens I really need and what trade-offs I'm willing to give up in size/power. I think I'd like the option of having an hour or so of 60+ lumens should I absolutely need it.

I'm not a fan of AA or AAA powered flashlights in EDC or for storing for long periods of time because I tend to like the extra duration/power of the CR123-powered versions and to me it seems like the AA and AAA versions don't last when sitting around for a while (like in a survival kit) unless you get the higher end lithium versions (which aren't cheaper than CR123s).

I will say that I'm impressed with those 4Sevens lights and am looking pretty hard at the Quark-123 Tactical-R5 and the Quark-123 Mini.

Fenix seems to have a few that interest me (PD10, PD20, LD15), but I'm still looking around.

Thanks for the input!

5MinuteMajor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been thinking about exactly how many lumens I really need and what trade-offs I'm willing to give up in size/power. I think I'd like the option of having an hour or so of 60+ lumens should I absolutely need it.

I'm not a fan of AA or AAA powered flashlights in EDC or for storing for long periods of time because I tend to like the extra duration/power of the CR123-powered versions and to me it seems like the AA and AAA versions don't last when sitting around for a while (like in a survival kit) unless you get the higher end lithium versions (which aren't cheaper than CR123s).

I will say that I'm impressed with those 4Sevens lights and am looking pretty hard at the Quark-123 Tactical-R5 and the Quark-123 Mini.

Fenix seems to have a few that interest me (PD10, PD20, LD15), but I'm still looking around.

Thanks for the input!

My FENIX E01 is going on 3 years now, and just now on it's 2nd AAA battery. And that's awesome, considering my 3yr old plays with it daily, and it's been through the laundry 2x.

Chemist-Ret

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It might be bigger than what you want, but check out Pak-Lite. The twin LED module snaps on top of a 9 volt battery and has a high/low switch. I've had a couple for about five years now and still running on original lithium battery.

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by that Quark Mini also. Looks like it's as bright as my PD20, uses the same battery, but looks smaller. If you own one, give us the skinny!

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had very very good luck with the Maratac AAA and AA models. I carry the AA model off duty and the AAA on.....have used the AAA more times than I can count and it has never let me down. I think I use as much as my StreamLight C4LED DS....( and I am a midnight shifter so I am in the dark all the time) I can speak for them as reliable and great values.

I bought 5 AAA and 2 AA just so I have enough.

I use Rayovac batteries on the AAA and it runs at max output 60 lumens ( I used a Surefire G2 for reference on brightness) for close to 40 minutes. I use the mid range most at 15 Lumens.

I think I am gonna go buy the copper one now.....

this is from CC's Website
Check Out This AAA Powerhouse. Specifications: Length: 2.7” Diameter: .5”‚ Weight: 20 Grams.
LED Type: Cree 7090-XP-E Q5 with a life span up to 50,000 hours. The reflector is aluminum alloy. Flashlight body is made of aircraft grade aluminum covered with Type III Military grade anodization. The lens has been treated with a AR (Anti-Reflective) coating. Its proprietary circuit design features reverse polarity protection and runs off of one AAA battery that provides 3 levels of brightness (Medium/Low/High).
Using A Single Duracell AAA battery we got the following results:
Medium Mode, 18lm Output for 4 Hours
Low Mode, 1.5lm Output for 50 Hours
High Mode, 80lm Output for 48 Minutes

WWW.countycomm.com

Latest posts

Top Bottom