For you farm tractor guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heck you had an upgraded tractor 🤣. My 4020 has a neck that sticks out similar to a faucet neck and you pulled the push button off the ether can and stuck that into into the bottom of the neck.
The old two cyl john deere has a pony engine that i had to start first. It would warm the coolant and spin the big engine over under compression to also heat up. Then throw the throttle and it starts.

J-pitch

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've come into possession of a John Deere 6083. There's no electric where I keep it and yesterday (Tuesday) it was below freezing. The temps had risen to 40 degrees but it didn't fire up as promptly as usual.

Is it practical to plug the engine heater into a portable generator prior to starting, or is that a feature that requires 24/7 power?
It would probably take 2-3 hours for the generator to warm it up enough to start

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t know about that, or maybe the new tractors aren’t built like the older ones. Been doing it on 4020’s, 4440’s and such for years and it’s never hurt them and 91/2 times out of 10 they’ll start.
All the Deere new generation series tractors and construction equipment maybe into the 90s was starting fluid required for cold weather starting like your used to

I dont know for sure where the transition was made.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got 2 John Deere 2955 series tractors that are 5.9 cubic inch inline 6 cylinder engines made in 1991 that do not need either to start. But they use two 12 volt batteries parallel. Neither one has glow plugs or intake heaters. They do have a heating element in the side of the block in the water jacket.
The only one I ever plugged in was the one with a cab to have heat quicker to defrost the windows while putting out hay bales.

My Allis Chalmer 170 built in 1969 didn't even have a block heater. I added one in the radiator hose .

The long 445 doesn't have any cold weather starting aids either.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember some old tractors had a compression release lever. You would hold that back while cranking for a little while, then release the lever and it would start. When I was drive trucks in Germany in the winter we were still running #2 diesel and would had a gallon of alcohol to 100 gallons of diesel to keep it from gelling. worked great and they started fast even in cold weather.

Latest posts

Top Bottom