For you farm tractor guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Start with checking battery and battery cable ends. It should start at any temp unless your diesel is jelled. When it did start, what color was the smoke? If you're glow plugs or glow plug relay are failing, it will be cranky, and you'll have white smoke usually.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
]If you're glow plugs or glow plug relay are failing
I could be wrong, but all the newer deere tractors I been around are manually activated with the key.

3320, 3520, 4520 & 5310.

@NationalMatch please let us know if your key functions as I explained when you get the chance.

I doubt this guy used the glow plugs.

Since he says it is a "company tractor" he probably dont even know the feature exists.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but all the newer deere tractors I been around are manually activated with the key.

3320, 3520, 4520 & 5310.

@NationalMatch please let us know if your key functions as I explained when you get the chance.

I doubt this guy used the glow plugs.

Since he says it is a "company tractor" he probably dont even know the feature exists.

Yes that's correct, turn on key and wait for the glow plug lamp to disappear then start. Unless it's changed, the dash lamp on them will still show that they're warming, even though the relay or the harness or the plugs themselves are failing. That guy in the video, his second attempt probably allow the key to be on long enough for the plugs to do some good.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My bad. It's a 2010 5083E. 2162 total hours. And the former owner (my late FIL)

Where is the owners manual?

If you Fil bought it new, then one should be around. If he got the tractor used and did not get one, I suggest you get one.

Shop around evilbay, etc.

If you have to buy new, your local Deere dealer might have a 10% off parts sale at a certain time of the year. Call them and ask.

That 5083 sounds like a nice tractor . I believe the 4045 engine is been in use quite a few years!

I hope yours rests in a nice building!

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes that's correct, turn on key and wait for the glow plug lamp to disappear then start. Unless it's changed, the dash lamp on them will still show that they're warming, even though the relay or the harness or the plugs themselves are failing. That guy in the video, his second attempt probably allow the key to be on long enough for the plugs to do some good.
The lamp will not disappear if you keep pressing in the key. There is no relay, at least not on mine, my brothers or my friends.

It is manually activated, if the owner / user does not know the feature is there, (and how it works) it will never function

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
The lamp will not disappear if you keep pressing in the key. There is no relay, at least not on mine, my brothers or my friends.

It is manually activated, if the owner / user does not know the feature is there, (and how it works) it will never function
Ah I see what you're saying now, I didn't realize it was manual I thought you were saying it wasn't manual. Mahindras, NH, LS are automatic with the turn of the key whether it's -20* or 120*.

Latest posts

Top Bottom