For you farm tractor guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but all the newer deere tractors I been around are manually activated with the key.

3320, 3520, 4520 & 5310.

@NationalMatch please let us know if your key functions as I explained when you get the chance.

I doubt this guy used the glow plugs.

Since he says it is a "company tractor" he probably dont even know the feature exists.

Yeah, I googled "jd5083 cold start" and that was the first one I got. No instruction. Just some guy who started his tractor in cold weather. LOL.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. Very valuable info. I do have the owner's manual. Under cold start:

To activate cold weather starting device, turn key switch to RUN position, push in and hold: 10 or 15 seconds for temps above 32 degrees; 30 seconds for temps below 32 degrees. Start. If engine runs rough, press in on key to reactive cold weather starting device until engine runs smoothly. Idle at 1200 rpm until it warms.

Nothing about glow plugs indicator on gauges screen.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. Very valuable info. I do have the owner's manual. Under cold start:

To activate cold weather starting device, turn key switch to RUN position, push in and hold: 10 or 15 seconds for temps above 32 degrees; 30 seconds for temps below 32 degrees. Start. If engine runs rough, press in on key to reactive cold weather starting device until engine runs smoothly. Idle at 1200 rpm until it warms.

Nothing about glow plugs indicator on gauges screen.
Looks like no plugs but rather a screen heater, that's what the turning the key and pushing in activates it looks like.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/threads/5083e-glow-plugs.268880/

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sounds like you don't have a problem other than maybe a low battery from sitting. I wouldn't consider three rev crank as excessive as long as it starts. Get some power service or other fuel treatment for gelling,learn the procedure for your model cold start and enjoy your tractor.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My bad. It's a 2010 5083E. 2162 total hours. Professionally winter prepped last year but we only put about 20 hours on it since then.

It started fine. The night temp was 28 degrees. I got to the tractor when the temp was 40 degrees. It just didn't fire up on the first crank like it normally does (in ~60 degree weather). It had to crank 3 or 4 times.

And the former owner (my late FIL) would plug it into his residential extension cord. Dunno if such was ever actually necessary. But, I'm told, that's what he did.

Winter fuel mixture? Is that simply an additive?

Also, is the tractor battery capable of being "jumped" from a pickup?
Being a NEW tractor owner. After my uncle passing. We have 2x that we use a lot. The JD 4455 is a workhorse and despite the R12 AC being totally dead. I will replace and upgrade and keep this guy. Its a beast. I had to buy new batteries for it and the New holland TM190. the NH had a weird battery, But the JD was just 12v. Both crank fine with the new batteries in 20 degree weather. I tried to use the JD with its junk batteries and 2x chargers. That took hours of charging and cost me a lot of time. Batteries were less than 250 dollars and cranks up every time now. I have 2x more large tractors to get started yet. and another small one. Next spring will be that project

Latest posts

Top Bottom