Friend's rifle was butchered at local shop....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, where to start. I dabble in metallurgy in my spare time, especially the metallurgy of ferrous metals. From that standpoint, It is recommened that AISI 4150 be re-heat treated after welding as it is likely that the mechanical properties of the metal may be affected. If it was a simple spot weld like it should have been then I wouldn't worry, but that doesn't appear to be the case here. Doing a hardness test might give some clue as to rather it has been affected during the welding.

That gas block is scrap now, and not safe to use.

The manganese phosphate coating is only rated to about 450F, and is no longer going to provide any protection in the affected areas.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did they... ???

img.pandawhale.com_post_15478_Nathan_Fillion_speechless_gif_TeGC.gif
Lol
I'm pretty sure I would be asking for all new parts and my money back for the work. If not, I would definitely be posting their name and these pics on every board around, even the HTF on the national sites.
Yes this ×10000
Jesuuuuuus... yeah, you need to tell us who did this.
seriously we need to know.
Names need to be named. I can't believe any self-respecting shop owner would let the customer even see that without offering full replacement.
No, names MUST be named, I can't believe he would even SHOW it to the customer. That's horrific. I could do a better job. Dang.

From my sniper hide

Latest posts

Top Bottom