Gas ltrimmers ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mksmth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 4 stroke Ryobi. I know laugh all you want but so far its working great. before that I had a 2 stroke ryobi that lasted 8 years. Dad has a 4 stroke Toro it think. I like the 4 stroke because the torque is good and you dont have wind them up like a 2 stroke. I wear hearing protection so the noise doesnt really matter too much to me.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before you pitch it, look into replacing the ignition coil. Apparently, the coils on the low-end lawn care equipment are junk, and last about two years--and replacement coils cost ~$30. That's a lot cheaper than a $120 trimmer...

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a 10 year old Homelite that up until now I've done zero maintenance on. This year I finally replaced the fuel lines and primer bulb....for a whopping $10.

I almost gave up and bought a new one, but the cordless ones are stupid expensive, especially when you figure in eventually replacing a battery. A new gas one would just do what this one already does LOL.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would get an ECHO weedeater, preferably straight shaft from Home Depot. with using the choke properly, I am on my 4th season of using it and it starts within three pulls, one to prime, one to mess with the choke (casue I forgot it), the next it starts.

I have used ECHO commercial weed eaters in the past, and the residential unit, has more than enough power to edge, and knock down large weeds.

This! I've had mine for 12-13 yrs. Only had to replace the tank filter last year.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Homelite about 20 years ago. It held up nicely but I tore up the lower unit last year. I still have to motor. That thing ran like a banshee.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys fail to realize the products they made 15 years ago are not the same as 5 years ago or those 5 year olds are not the same as last years models.
My homelight from 20 years ago lasted over 15 years..Then i got an Echo new from home depot.
lasted 2 years..POS!
I used their oil and real gas...Seems there is a plate with some faulty check valves or something init..
I got another with a 5 year warranty and i use quicksilver oil in it no issues at all..except the primer bulbs dry and crack.

They must make them from biodegradable stuff as i have had some last 20 years.

Good luck with today's cheap built crap!...I know of a fridge i gave away that was built in the late 40's
No cooling fan on the motor..The thing has huge cooling fins and purrrrrs like a kitten..actually like a deak kitten as you can barely hear it running. Works great to this day.

They make the refrigerators today to have a life expectancy of about 10 years.. I have had some new ones die in 5-8 years.
Fix your old stuff if you can ...I hate new stuff, my last pair of shoes lasted 1 month, Nike's lasted 4 NB lasted 3 months I used to get a couple years out of shoes and had to actually replace strings in them.
1 year on a 1/2" milwaukee drill smoke came out of it..4-6 months on B&D 1/2" drills.
The old aluminum case tools lasted so much longer.
Hate the new crap they pawn off on us.
Rant over!

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys fail to realize the products they made 15 years ago are not the same as 5 years ago or those 5 year olds are not the same as last years models.
My homelight from 20 years ago lasted over 15 years..Then i got an Echo new from home depot.
lasted 2 years..POS!
I used their oil and real gas...Seems there is a plate with some faulty check valves or something init..
I got another with a 5 year warranty and i use quicksilver oil in it no issues at all..except the primer bulbs dry and crack.

They must make them from biodegradable stuff as i have had some last 20 years.

Good luck with today's cheap built crap!...I know of a fridge i gave away that was built in the late 40's
No cooling fan on the motor..The thing has huge cooling fins and purrrrrs like a kitten..actually like a deak kitten as you can barely hear it running. Works great to this day.

They make the refrigerators today to have a life expectancy of about 10 years.. I have had some new ones die in 5-8 years.
Fix your old stuff if you can ...I hate new stuff, my last pair of shoes lasted 1 month, Nike's lasted 4 NB lasted 3 months I used to get a couple years out of shoes and had to actually replace strings in them.
1 year on a 1/2" milwaukee drill smoke came out of it..4-6 months on B&D 1/2" drills.
The old aluminum case tools lasted so much longer.
Hate the new crap they pawn off on us.
Rant over!

I just read this whole thing and agree. Same. With gun and cars.

Latest posts

Top Bottom