Getting a Kindle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickett235

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all of the advise. The Ipad is out for many reasons. I will check out the differences between the Kindle and Nook. We have WiFi at the house so that will not be needed.

Thanks for the help OSA family.

OU Gunner

Marksman
Reaction score
I only read a few post but my vote is just to buy a Apple Ipad not only is it a reader, it is also a computer, can hold songs, surf the net etc! If budget can afford it they are around $500

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The kindle will play mp3s and surf the internet. And it works as an e-reader. Just because something displays books doesn't mean it functions as an e-reader. The ipad is hard on your eyes and sucks in the sun.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
None of the above. Get an ipad. Barnes and Noble has a nook app, Amazon has a Kindle app, and Apple has its own app and book store.

The ipad is a little more (especially if you go with the 3G version), but it does a whole lot more.

True but reading off of an LCD screen is much more strain on the eyes than reading off of the electronic ink screens that the likes of Nook and Kindle use. There really is a significant difference. In addition the aps that amazon and B&N are hyping aren't that great. Hard to navigate, simple readers - at least the PC ones anyway. They don't have near the ability to navigate, search, buy that the actual Nook or Kindle has.

FWIW - I've got a nook. I've seen and played with the Kindle. IMO the nook is a better deal because:

1) battery is user replaceable. Battery goes south on a kindle you'll have to send it to Amazon and pay $65 to have it replaced.
2) Nook memory is upgradeable. Kindle is not.

Other than that I haven't found a rat's behind's difference between the two.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just because something displays books doesn't mean it functions as an e-reader.
And just because the Kindle can "surf the web" doesn't mean it's good at it. The web experience on the Kindle sucks arse. Again, both the Kindle and the iPad are the best at what they do. Strictly looking for an e-reader, the Kindle is the way to go. If you want more than that, the iPad is the way to go (although, as previously stated, I wouldn't purchase an iPad until the new version comes out in a few months).

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh my god stop recommending iPads to people shopping for Kindles. It happens all the time and I f*&king hate that.

Yeah, a Kindle isn't a general-purpose computer but it's not meant to be. It's meant to be an e-book reader and it does that very well.

I have a portable computing device that can do lots of stuff well. It's called a laptop. If I wanted a portable computing device that was tiny and portable I'd get an Eee PC or whatever netbook people like these days. I also have a portable computing device that isn't much good at anything but it's super-duper-portable. That's my iPhone.

If I wanted something that didn't do any of that well at all I guess I'd consider an iPad but I could get a used Glock 19 for the same price and I'd rather have a gun than trendy crap that doesn't do anything I want well.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

FWIW - I've got a nook. I've seen and played with the Kindle. IMO the nook is a better deal because:

1) battery is user replaceable. Battery goes south on a kindle you'll have to send it to Amazon and pay $65 to have it replaced.
2) Nook memory is upgradeable. Kindle is not.

Other than that I haven't found a rat's behind's difference between the two.

1) the nook battery is $30, for $40 you can get the 2yr extended warranty for the kindle which will cover the battery plus just about anything else you could do to it.
2) the kindle holds 3500 books really who needs more than that

okroyal

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe the Ok library system digital books are not compatible with Kendels. I would check into this if you want to get free books from there.

Mark

Mark is correct. The OK county library download system does not support the i-pad or kindels. My wife has an Ipad and got the nook just so she can download a free book from the library. Works pretty good.

Kent

Latest posts

Top Bottom