Got a wild hog problem? Use Tannerite

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
dennishoddy says-I can buy all the Ammonium Nitrate I want....to fertilize my fields. Its actually the best fertilizer out there, but you have to sign away your life to get it unlike past days when you just bought a hundred tons or so to put out.
Easier to buy Urea now, but its not as plant friendly.

i say-thank you timothy mcveigh, AKA a$$wagon

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can buy all the Ammonium Nitrate I want....to fertilize my fields. Its actually the best fertilizer out there, but you have to sign away your life to get it unlike past days when you just bought a hundred tons or so to put out.
Easier to buy Urea now, but its not as plant friendly.

How is the 28% liquid less friendly than the granules? Does it burn the foliage?

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plants accept the ammonium nitrate more readily. Better fertilizer.

AN is 33-34% nitrogen with 1/2 of the nitrogen coming from ammonium and the rest from nitrate. The product is much more stable.

UAN is about 28-32% nitrogen with 1/2 of the N coming from Urea and 1/2 from ammonium nitrate. If the solution is not applied shortly after production there will be nitrogen loss through degradation, actually I think it's called volitilization. Bleach does the same thing.

In short, you're being sold some ****** UAN. Go to the source where they are actually hydrating the product. In the Tulsa area that would be Helena Chemical near Porter.

ETA: Here's a pretty good read regarding volatilization and there is more to it than I stated above.
https://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/c...ion-losses-from-surface-applied-nitrogen.html

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AN is 33-34% nitrogen with 1/2 of the nitrogen coming from ammonium and the rest from nitrate. The product is much more stable.

UAN is about 28-32% nitrogen with 1/2 of the N coming from Urea and 1/2 from ammonium nitrate. If the solution is not applied shortly after production there will be nitrogen loss through degradation, actually I think it's called volitilization. Bleach does the same thing.

In short, you're being sold some ****** UAN. Go to the source where they are actually hydrating the product. In the Tulsa area that would be Helena Chemical near Porter.

ETA: Here's a pretty good read regarding volatilization and there is more to it than I stated above.
https://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/c...ion-losses-from-surface-applied-nitrogen.html

I was trying to keep it simple. Amonium Nitrate is more readily accepted by the plant. UAN which is a combination of the two.
Urea which looses its N if not tilled into the soil at application or gets at least 1/4" of rain shortly after application is not readily accepted into the plant. Its N content is 46%,
UAN has an N content of 28-32%. Its used because it doesn't loose its N as quickly and is used for side dressing.

In its pure form of Ammonium Nitrate, its a superior fertilizer because of superior plant uptake.

So, whats the purpose of this fertilizer 101 discussion?

Latest posts

Top Bottom