Gun Insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess the best place to gather information about replacement/current value for insurance policy purposes would be.....?........

Some of this stuff I can take a pretty good guess at, others I've had so long I've no clue how much it might be worth.

I could probably get within $500 on most of them, but the policy price is going to be based on my estimate. I want to be as accurate as possible.

Any suggestions?

USN-SCW-Ret

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah, great question..... When I ask my home insurance guy (he is also a childhood friend) about firearm insurance, he said "Let's speak off the record for a moment." He said " We don't cover it but we have another company that would do it, as an add on, a rider. Then us and them would require a list and serial numbers for all your weapons to be covered. Also your home insurance will go up because you have firearms in your home." He then said "Your best bet is to buy a real good gun safe and hide it and bolt it to your home's foundation. It will cost you alot less than the insurance premiums to cover firearms your in home."

Now back to ins agent to customer he says "So are you thinking of getting some firearms?" Me "Nope, not at all."
(But I did buy a safe.) ;)

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take a look at gunbroker and see what exact models of your gun are selling for. Or just get you a blue book of gun values and look them up. Not sure what company you plan on going with but this is what I have in addition to what comes with my lifetime Nra membership. http://www.locktonaffinity.com/nrains/armscareplus.htm they didnt ask for serial numbers just a description and value. Scopes and accessories are not covered. I added a rider to my renters policy to cover them and binos and my good spotter. In addition to a quality safe it's good peace of mind.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would probably just be easier to buy a blanket policy then worry about individual values when you need to make a claim. As long as the individual gun isn't over $10k in value, you don't have to schedule them with Historic. You can get $35k in blanket coverage for $125/yr (this is their minimum policy).

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not concerned with theft, as they are all locked up in a safe.

The concern is tornadoes & fire. I had a buddy that had his in a fireproof safe, and they didn't burn up or melt, but they were ruined.

My homeowners will cover up to $5000, which wouldn't replace 5 of the long guns.

Might try to pick up a blue book this weekend.

@FullAuto - Is Historic an insurer? I'll run this by State Farm & get a quote and then check with them as well if they are.

Thanks to all for the input.

Ninja edit - I think I found them.

Thanks - I'll get a quote from them as well.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would probably just be easier to buy a blanket policy then worry about individual values when you need to make a claim. As long as the individual gun isn't over $10k in value, you don't have to schedule them with Historic. You can get $35k in blanket coverage for $125/yr (this is their minimum policy).

Speaking of, I need to kill my NRA policy and get Historic. Right at about what I need Dollarwise. Thanks, insurance is much better than just a safe. If your house burns your screwed.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not concerned with theft, as they are all locked up in a safe.

The concern is tornadoes & fire. I had a buddy that had his in a fireproof safe, and they didn't burn up or melt, but they were ruined.

My homeowners will cover up to $5000, which wouldn't replace 5 of the long guns.

Might try to pick up a blue book this weekend.

@FullAuto - Is Historic an insurer? I'll run this by State Farm & get a quote and then check with them as well if they are.

http://www.historicfirearms.com/?page_id=20

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

State Farm won't be competitive with either Historic Firearms or collectinsure.com.

Historic has the lowest rates, collectinsure doesn't have the minimum premium amount like Historic. So somewhere around $20-25k in coverage, Historic with their $35k policy will become the better deal. If you just want to insure around $15-20k, collectinsure will be cheaper. Collectinsure may have a lower dollar amount before scheduling like $5k. I know Historic is $10k before scheduling. Collectinsure also has a safe requirement of 300lbs empty and dial/digital lock only (no key locks).

Latest posts

Top Bottom