Ham Radio Guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me be sure I got this straight. You are saying that in an unmodified state, this radio is not accepted for use in the Amateur Radio service? ( http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-257hp-Meter-Amateur-Radio/dp/B00AQNDC2O ) Trying to be sure I get things right and would not tx on anything until properly licensed of course.

Next, it appears as though you just called me a liar. Wow... Unexpected at best. You can doubt it all you like though I suppose. What earthly or otherwise inclined motivation may I have to misrepresent what I just ordered?

Just in case there is a doubt here is the ebay link to the closed listing where you can likely determine that I was the purchaser just this afternoon. http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001420978?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Now, moving on from the Spanish Inquisition. Anything further...

It was not my intent to call you a liar as I was merely pointing out that the HTX-10 has not been available new from RS in quite some time so I was questioning how you were able to acquire such a unit. I see from the eBay listing that is represented as New but Not in Original Packaging. Sorry that you felt you were being called out and that I was not clear in my intent. I hope you are happy with your acquisition when it arrives.

The post below by cw821 really captures the way I should have said it, especially about the Magnum unit since the frequency display on the unit in the WorldWideDX site clearly shows it is capable of tuning in the 11 meter band and the review provides details on how to make that happen. What I was trying to warn you against was that is what the FCC frowns upon and you discovered that in some other research that you acknowledge in a later post. I did not communicate clearly. It appears you do understand the main point and made a decision to avoid a potential difficulty with the HTX-10 purchase.

As to your closing line in the post above, that was really not necessary when you were the one seeking advice in an area that was new to you. I was trying to point out more details on a pitfall that you had some inkling of from your research. You made a good decision in your purchase so the final comment does not advance your cause as one seeking assistance in unfamiliar circumstances. I'll depart the thread quietly now.

The only equipment listed for any type of certification in Part 97 rules is "Certification of external RF power amplifiers." I'm certainly to expert, but what I understand from talking to many older hams, is we can use basically any equipment we want to transmit in the ham bands. There are lots of people who use used commercial and other radios not specifically sold for hams on the ham bands. On the contrary, using these radios sold as 10 meter on the 11 meter CB bands is illegal if the radio is not certified for the CB bands.

If this isn't correct, please post link to it so I may have it for future reference.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
as far as that bofeng radio goes i have one and love it look into getting a better antenna like tram 1185 dual band and nagoya na701 antenna both made a HUGE diff for me

Thanks! Thats good info. Thus far I have been pleased with the reception. 147.135 and 146.925 repeaters have been active today!

:rollingla No worries ... One of these days I'll need a good lawyer to get my arse outta the pokey ... You'll be the first phone call I make! :wink2:

Woohoo! Hope that's not the case though! Thanks.

It was not my intent to call you a liar as I was merely pointing out that the HTX-10 has not been available new from RS in quite some time so I was questioning how you were able to acquire such a unit. I see from the eBay listing that is represented as New but Not in Original Packaging. Sorry that you felt you were being called out and that I was not clear in my intent. I hope you are happy with your acquisition when it arrives.

The post below by cw821 really captures the way I should have said it, especially about the Magnum unit since the frequency display on the unit in the WorldWideDX site clearly shows it is capable of tuning in the 11 meter band and the review provides details on how to make that happen. What I was trying to warn you against was that is what the FCC frowns upon and you discovered that in some other research that you acknowledge in a later post. I did not communicate clearly. It appears you do understand the main point and made a decision to avoid a potential difficulty with the HTX-10 purchase.

As to your closing line in the post above, that was really not necessary when you were the one seeking advice in an area that was new to you. I was trying to point out more details on a pitfall that you had some inkling of from your research. You made a good decision in your purchase so the final comment does not advance your cause as one seeking assistance in unfamiliar circumstances. I'll depart the thread quietly now.

as far as that bofeng radio goes i have one and love it look into getting a better antenna like tram 1185 dual band and nagoya na701 antenna both made a HUGE diff for me

:rollingla No worries ... One of these days I'll need a good lawyer to get my arse outta the pokey ... You'll be the first phone call I make! :wink2:

Aww comon, no hard feelings eh! The Spanish Inquisition line was darn funny I thought. :) It did feel like you were questioning my integrity there but if that was not the intent then no harm no foul in my book.

Agreed that there seems to be some pitfalls here though. Surprisingly tough to navigate it seems. Hence my ordering the other unit. Now I fear I will be stuck with the magnum unit! AHHH! Would be much better served with the Radio Shack unit for 10 meter to listen until I get something a bit better down the road.

Also, I did not even notice the readout on that review you referenced showed an 11 meter frequency! Man, that is just sneaky. I should have paid closer attention. I seem to have become a kid wielding purchase power lately! Ugh.

I do appreciate your insight here as I am flying rather blind it appears.

j-dubb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've just started looking into Ham Handheld radio's and doing research. I understand the requirements and getting a license for use, however can you use these on a daily basis to communicate with a co worker out in the field(Oklahoma hills,pastures, woods)? I will be spending a lot of time in the future, where my cell phone provider has spotty service at best. Other cell phone providers in the area work, but I don't plan on getting another cell phone just to use when I'm in a certain area. I was looking at different handheld radios types and everyone leans to HAM as the all around best. Plus I could use it in the future for a SHTF scenario. If both parties have a HAM radio and licenses, is this a good idea to use for daily communications in the field? Or are there better ideas? CB radio is not an option as both parties will be on foot, walking the terrain, up to a couple miles away?

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MyMonkey,

Good luck on the persuit of the ham license. You guys talk of the Boefeng HT have piqued my interest. They are so cheap, I am thinking about trying one.

The cost is just exceptionally low. These things are very capable as well. I am sending a few out as gifts! :)

I've just started looking into Ham Handheld radio's and doing research. I understand the requirements and getting a license for use, however can you use these on a daily basis to communicate with a co worker out in the field(Oklahoma hills,pastures, woods)? I will be spending a lot of time in the future, where my cell phone provider has spotty service at best. Other cell phone providers in the area work, but I don't plan on getting another cell phone just to use when I'm in a certain area. I was looking at different handheld radios types and everyone leans to HAM as the all around best. Plus I could use it in the future for a SHTF scenario. If both parties have a HAM radio and licenses, is this a good idea to use for daily communications in the field? Or are there better ideas? CB radio is not an option as both parties will be on foot, walking the terrain, up to a couple miles away?

Well, I am by no means an expert. However, I have read a great deal on the different uses of HAM or 10,6,2 etc meter vs 11 meter or CB. Seems that yes Ham radios can be more powerful and work on more varied frequencies. However, many do use CB radios (Handheld) in the mountains and get fair reception such as many off road groups. Just depends on what your group is into. It appears as though many start with CB then advance later to ham radios as a mobile in vehicle unit can be versatile. At least that is what I have read.

cw821

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.........however can you use these on a daily basis to communicate with a co worker out in the field(Oklahoma hills,pastures, woods)? .....QUOTE]

In a word, NO. You can't use the ham frequencies for any business related communication. However, you could get one of the cheap radios and use it on one of the MURS frequencies. .....wiki/Multi-Use_Radio_Service Forgetting all the legalities, this is what you could for relatively cheap. Just don't abuse it. Don't use murs freqs with 100 watts. Don't intentionally interfere with others. No one will notice or care.

Do this AND get your ham license and you're good as gold in an emergency situation.

Some ask, Why should I get a ham license when in an emergency I can use whatever I want? That is true, but consistent good communication on the radio waves is more than just listening and one day deciding you need it in an emergency. Get the license, so you can transmit now. Others on the air will tell you how you sound, if they hear you at all. It's just like shooting. You must practice so in an emergency it will come naturally.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As noted above, the MURS trancievers are limited at 2 watts. CB would likely be better than that at 4ish watts for long range stuff. Best overall would necessitate a ham license as you can really send a signal then.

Ok folks. I am officially a ChickenBander!! Apparently that's what they call the CB'ers these days. :) Love it! I ordered my buddy and I some Midland 75-822 CB radios to see if we could use them for now house to house. I plan on adding this: http://www.hamuniverse.com/cbstrongtie.html Seems to get good range.

Turns out that Magnum radio was a POS. I returned it but the guy has sent me a new one in exchange! Ahh... Oh well. May just chalk that up to stupidity. However, the Radio Shack htx 10 is a great little radio. No antenna yet but it scans fast and seems well built. Will keep you informed!

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After a bit of evaluation concerning the Midland 75-822 CB radios http://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-822-Channel-CB-Way-Radio/dp/B00000K2YR I will say this. When I first turned one on. I could clearly hear all sorts of traffic. Lots of folks all over the place in the early afternoon talking about lots of stuff. Met the cool factor. I figured that was a good sign. I attached the radio to a cheap mag mount cb antenna I picked up at Radio Shack and again the reception was even better. I could listen in on lots of stuff. So, it meets the needs of a highway traveler who wants to get traffic reports from up ahead a bit from truckers etc I suppose.

Later, with the aid of my trusty 9 year old son as an assistant. I compared the range of these radios with the range of the Motorola GMRS radios we have used in the past. http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MR350R-35-Mile-22-Channel-Two-Way/dp/B001UE6MJ8 The Motorola has a range from one car to another or one house to another of just over one mile in the city and a bit longer on an open highway. So, with CB's in had I set out on my treck. I was sad to determine that the range of this radio was no more than about 200 yards! With me in the car and the other in the house we lost touch just down the street in my neighborhood. Whereas the motorola keeps on ticking, this thing sucked.

Result. Reception good, transmission bad! I suppose an antenna would help in both regards as seen in the link I posted above with the Di Pole in the attic. I suppose I may have to try that next! Ugh!

My research has shown me that there is no true alternative for HAM radio out there. The CB Stuff may be fun to fool around with but the signal is so susceptible to interference it seems unreliable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom