Have a friend looking for a CCW .45 acp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Talked to a friend of mine who mostly just has longguns, but now he's looking for something to carry.

He wants something:

-Very lightweight
-Small (1stack/slimline)
-.45 ACP

I told him Kahr (KP, PM, CW) and Glock 36 were all I could think of that fit this description. I mentioned 1911s, but he wants something lighter than even an alumimun-framed 3" 1911. Of course I recommended Kahr, which he'd never even heard of.

So, (1) are there any polymer framed single stack 3" or 4" 1911s out there, (2) any other pistols meet the criteria?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Talked to a friend of mine who mostly just has longguns, but now he's looking for something to carry.

He wants something:

-Very lightweight
-Small (1stack/slimline)
-.45 ACP

I told him Kahr (KP, PM, CW) and Glock 36 were all I could think of that fit this description. I mentioned 1911s, but he wants something lighter than even an alumimun-framed 3" 1911. Of course I recommended Kahr, which he'd never even heard of.

So, (1) are there any polymer framed single stack 3" or 4" 1911s out there, (2) any other pistols meet the criteria?

Semmerling .45ACP???????
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semmerling

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

He wants something:

-Very lightweight
-Small (1stack/slimline)
-.45 ACP

Take your friend's hand, lay it out flat, and then smack it with a brick. Now smack it with the same brick 6 or 7 times. Wait a second, then hit it 6 or 7 more times. Tell him, "You just shot a mag and reloaded with your ultra-light 45 and shot another mag through it." Then see if he still wants an ultra-light. A heavier frame absorbs a lot of it and makes it easier to shoot and makes your shots more accurate, not only from the lack of killer recoil compared to the lighter gun, but also the fact that you'll practice with it more.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Doc,
I'm diggin' my Kimber Ultra CDP and I don't think there's much difference in weight between that and the Kahr CW45. I will have to look it up. But Kahr would deffinately be my second choice behind the Kimber. I'm a 1911 fan.

Edit: the Kimber weight 25oz unloaded and the Kahr is 19.9oz unloaded.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tell him to try an EMP .40. Ballistics are nearly the same if not better out of a short barrel compared to .45.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have personally shot both Kimber's Ultra CDP II and Springfield Armory's Loaded Micro Compact. These two guns are essentially the same thing: aluminum frame, dual recoil spring and a 3 inch barrel. Both guns are VERY shootable, much more so than I expected them to be frankly. In fact, my girlfriend thought so much of the Springfield after shooting it that she plunked down the money on one to compliment her Government model.

Some things to consider, the compact and super-compact 1911's are not novice guns in any way shape or form. There is nothing at all wrong with shooting them but parts, primarily the springs, wear out quicker and the shooter needs to stay on top of their replacement. The other issue is typically price.

The Kahr P45 and CW45 are also excellent and much more affordable options. These guns are very simple to operate and maintain. IIRC the P45 and CW45 are slimmer than a 1911 with standard grips. I believe that the Kahrs may even be narrower than a 1911 with slim grips but I'm not certain of that one. These guns are quite shootable but they do take some getting used to. Working at the range I've seen more than a couple of these get horribly abused by people who've bought them and then shot the piss out of them for years.

Regards,
Ek

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
nice analogy!

after shooting magnum rounds from an ultralight pistol ...your hand feels like it's been hit by a brick.

Take your friend's hand, lay it out flat, and then smack it with a brick. Now smack it with the same brick 6 or 7 times. Wait a second, then hit it 6 or 7 more times. Tell him, "You just shot a mag and reloaded with your ultra-light 45 and shot another mag through it." Then see if he still wants an ultra-light. A heavier frame absorbs a lot of it and makes it easier to shoot and makes your shots more accurate, not only from the lack of killer recoil compared to the lighter gun, but also the fact that you'll practice with it more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom