Health insurance costs. What is yours doing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your insurance costs doing?

• Staying the same

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Going up

Votes: 39 56.5%
  • Going down

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know yet

Votes: 16 23.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My employer provided rates were announced today. My dental, vision and health insurance costs are remaining the same as 2013. The benefits, copays and deductibles are staying the same too.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
deductables and copays are up, premiums are up a little, but we can get a discount but now we have to participate in 3 mandatory area to get that discount. My current plan will no longer be available next year.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
deductables and copays are up, premiums are up a little, but we can get a discount but now we have to participate in 3 mandatory area to get that discount. My current plan will no longer be available next year.

What do you have to do to get the discount?

We get a discount for doing an online health assessment and some online tracking of exercise, diet, etc.

My company is self insured and provides more than the minimum coverage required by Obamacare.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BP check, waist measurement and blood draw at the work site, online health assessment, and now we have to do a 6 week health challenge every year. Also be tobacco free.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You need to ask your HR department if the employer is subsidizing any increases or there truly was no increase in the premium. Last year my employer absorbed the 7% increase.

I'll ask in our benefits meeting. I wonder since they are self insured if premiums are based on actual prior year costs or something else.

ChuckC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm self employed and have a catastrophic policy with a 5k deductible through BC BS. Found out the policy I have will no longer be available after next year. The closest thing I can get to what I have now is a 6k deductible and a premium increase of a little over 50%.

I like what I have, I thought I was supposed to be able to keep it according to the liar in chief.

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Minimum Insurance Coverage Required

Whether you have health insurance now or buy it through one of the Obamacare state Insurance Marketplaces, your insurance plan must cover 10 minimum essential health care services. These are: outpatient services; emergency services; hospitalization; maternity/newborn care; mental health and substance abuse services; prescription drugs; rehabilitation (for injuries, disabilities or chronic conditions); lab services; preventive/wellness programs and chronic disease management; and pediatric services.

If you have or buy a health plan that does not pay for those minimum essential services it may not qualify as coverage under Obamacare and you may have to pay the penalty.

Seems like you should be able to keep what you have and just pay the penalty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom