Health insurance costs. What is yours doing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your insurance costs doing?

• Staying the same

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Going up

Votes: 39 56.5%
  • Going down

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know yet

Votes: 16 23.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got my letter from BCBS yesterday - I must be somewhat lucky, as mine's only going up $20 a month after the first of the year. It typically jumps about that much every quarter, but this time they referenced fees associated with the Affordable Care Act.

I think if your plan was in effect before March 23, 2010 it is grandfathered in. That is where I'm at and I'm only going to pay $20 per month until they find out about a couple "fees". ACA will not allow any riders to be added and retain grandfathered status however. Guess I'm being rewarded for not shopping around for the cheapest insurance for a few years.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think if your plan was in effect before March 23, 2010 it is grandfathered in. That is where I'm at and I'm only going to pay $20 per month until they find out about a couple "fees". ACA will not allow any riders to be added and retain grandfathered status however. Guess I'm being rewarded for not shopping around for the cheapest insurance for a few years.

Seems like I started mine after that. My "rider" is still fully in effect, though - so that was definately grandfathered in.

jwv

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well ,will wonders never cease, I just got a letter from the VA that said I was enrolled with them and that I would not have to sign up for Obama Care as it met all those requirements.Strange thing is I never signed up thru the VA , I already have BC/BS at work.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

As long as your plan doesn't substantially change... of course, HHS has determined that an increase or decrease in benefits, copays or premiums probably qualifies as a substantial change. Also, this assumes your provider will even continue offering your plan at all once the ACAs "market pressures" kick in.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love it that single men get to shop for plans now that force them to pay for maternity and pediatric services. WAR ON MEN.

I noticed that as well, but if my doctor wants to run a PSA blood test, he cant, I have to request that the test be run when I have my yearly checkup/blood work. Used to be it was included in all of the testing they do.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Signed up today, all of my costs are up, deductables are up as well, which I knew. To bad I cant keep my current plan, oh wait I was told I could...

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love it that single men get to shop for plans now that force them to pay for maternity and pediatric services. WAR ON MEN.

Not to mention post menopausal women, impotent women, or women that have had a hysterectomy. I'm sure those people are thrilled with the extra coverage they are set to receive. The old plan may be cheaper but the new plan is a "better deal" because it has more coverage.

Tip of the iceberg guys, tip of the iceberg.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My employer offers three medical plans, The middle level one is going up 10% the other two are staying the same. Dental is staying the same. Vision basic is staying the same, Vision Plus is increasing. The monthly premium for nicotine users is going from $25 to $75 per user and those who select "non-user" will be subject to random Nicotine tests.

Latest posts

Top Bottom