Health insurance costs. What is yours doing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your insurance costs doing?

• Staying the same

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Going up

Votes: 39 56.5%
  • Going down

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know yet

Votes: 16 23.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My employer offers three medical plans, The middle level one is going up 10% the other two are staying the same. Dental is staying the same. Vision basic is staying the same, Vision Plus is increasing. The monthly premium for nicotine users is going from $25 to $75 per user and those who select "non-user" will be subject to random Nicotine tests.

Do they charge regular donut and candy eaters more? Overweight people that get 'the sugar' can have just as high of health care costs as smokers.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do they charge regular donut and candy eaters more? Overweight people that get 'the sugar' can have just as high of health care costs as smokers.

So then do they double it up for the smoking sugar hounds? We could stack vices until a person owed more than their paycheck.

SigInBoots

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to enjoy a little rant. If you're easily offended, you may wish to stop reading NOW.

You know what? The hell with people who voted for every assclown who came up with and voted into place this crappy ACA legislation. Thank you, whoever you are, for jacking my insurance premium up 33% over where it was when I bought it two years ago. The letter I received tonight explained that most of that is courtesy of the Affordable Care Act. It certainly isn't because I've used much of my own policy.

To add insult to injury, NBC News just explained that my low premium, high deductible insurance may well be going the way of the dodo in the next 12 months. Here’s the link: http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_...ns-could-not-keep-their-health-insurance?lite

You know why I have an LPHD plan? It's because I'm healthy and I rarely need anything beyond my annual preventive visits and screenings, which are covered by my plan. If I do, it's for something stupid like strep throat that I am more than capable of covering the physician visit, lab fees, and prescription medications to remedy. "Oh, but you shouldn't have to come out of pocket for those things!" Really? Can you make it make sense that I should have to pay potentially twice or more what my current premium is in order to get benefits that cover things for which I normally pay less than one month's premium in any given year? No, you can't, unless you are miserable at math and logic, because the numbers do not and cannot possibly add up.

I get that there are people out there who can't cover their medical expenses for one reason or another, and I'm very sorry about that. But my money is meant to cover my life and the lives of my children, not Joe America's medical bills or Jane America’s contraception*. I do not appreciate having my money stolen by the government, via laws that cover it for doing so, for the benefit of someone else through a mismanaged healthcare system. It's not my responsibility to make Joe and Jane’s lives better. That's their responsibility. I've taken the care to make sure that I won't need hand-outs should something catastrophic happen to me in a medical sense. And if something terrible did happen, once I meet that high deductible my current plan covers 100% of every damned thing I'm charged. Did you hear that? ONE HUNDRED PERCENT OF EVERYTHING. Here's a clue: that's ACTUAL INSURANCE. Catastrophic coverage is what insurance is FOR, people. It's what your homeowner's policy is for, what the lion's share of your automobile insurance is for, and what your life insurance is for. The ACA plans aren't health insurance: they're mediated pre-payments for healthcare. And has anyone heard of an ACA-approved plan that keeps people like me from having to shell out a small fortune for coverage they don’t need or want? Anyone? ANYONE? BUELLER???

So, ultimately, I'll likely be paying much more to get much less so that Joe can get everything he needs on someone else's dime. Excellent. There's nothing affordable about that.

But y'all go on and enjoy your "free stuff" and keep lying to yourselves with the idea that this president and his administration care at all about "middle class America" and the "99%." I can't help it if no one ever taught you that nothing in life is free. Shame on you for believing it. And, please, don't tell me who you are because I'm trying very hard not to think about it.

*This is for Jane. Jane, listen carefully to your Aunt Siggy. I’m not a conservative who is going to sit here and preach at you about your choices in life. What I will say is this: if you are a big enough girl to have sex, you are a big enough girl to pay for your chosen means of contraception all by yourself rather than ask America to help you out. If you want my help, here it is: abstinence is free. If you can’t afford your own contraception, either stop having sex or make better financial choices such as, say, foregoing a few drinks at the bar each month, eating dinner out twice less often in a month, drinking coffee you make at home rather than buying it from Starbucks, or cancelling your subscription to one media form or another. That ought to take care of your pesky contraception bill fairly readily. But don’t tell me that it is my responsibility to make sure you have the contraception you need. That’s not what insurance is for, honey. And my saying so doesn’t constitute an act of war against other women. I’m a woman. I get it. I just expect other women to act like grown-ups and not whine about the cost of the choices they make.

(taking my soap box and stomping off)

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The next couple of elections will tell us if Joe and Jane really represent majority in this country. I'm thinking implementation of the ACA might just be the straw that breaks the Progressive's back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom