Hearing protection for kids???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do y'all use? My 11 year old granddaughter wants to hunt next week-end youth season. I bought her a Rossi single shot .223, but she is terrified of the report. She doesn't like loud noises, and watches fireworks shows from inside the house. I shot it from my chin to show her how light the recoil is, but the report just scares her to death. The first time she had foam plugs and muffs, but they are adult sized so maybe she wasn't getting a good seal.
Today, she just had a different type of foam plug. She finally did shoot it today, after about 20 rounds from her .22 Cricket. And after her mom bribed her with a ten dollar bill. The first shot she didn't flinch but the next two she did, so I made her quit and just dry fire it for awhile. We gotta work that flinch out real quick.

Next question: I can download the .223 to around 2600fps with a 55gr Sierra.. Y'all reckon that's enough for deer at close range? I know .22Mags have dropped a lot of deer, but probably wounded just as many more. 2600fps is quite a bit more than a .22Mag plus a 15 grain heavier bullet. Any shots she takes will be inside 30 yards, as that's about as far as we can see from our stand.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Radians makes some youth models, I would also look at ones geared towards women as they should be smaller. My 6 year old daughter wears the pink radians from academy just fine. Other option would be to get the moldable stuff, like for swimmers, or snorers, they are like a pliable wax.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Next question: I can download the .223 to around 2600fps with a 55gr Sierra.. Y'all reckon that's enough for deer at close range? I know .22Mags have dropped a lot of deer, but probably wounded just as many more. 2600fps is quite a bit more than a .22Mag plus a 15 grain heavier bullet. Any shots she takes will be inside 30 yards, as that's about as far as we can see from our stand.

You might try asking this in the reloading section. I glanced at the Sierra manual and it only lists data down to about 2800-2900 fps for the 55gr projectiles. They also don't advise loading anything under their minimums.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might try asking this in the reloading section. I glanced at the Sierra manual and it only lists data down to about 2800-2900 fps for the 55gr projectiles. They also don't advise loading anything under their minimums.

Check out Hodgdon.com They have two methods of reducing loads. You can use the H-4895 60% rule, or use TrailBoss.

Latest posts

Top Bottom