HELP!.... booze question!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Woodford has a flavor profile that's mellow, but full. It's got the characteristic sweetness of a bourbon with a smooth, buttery (almost toffee or caramel like) flavor before the oh so pleasant heat washes over you. It's just a little "meatier" than the 4 roses if that makes any sense.
You couldnt have described that any better. Dangit, I have to get me some now. Those are my exact taste budd specs right there. TY...

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Woodford has a flavor profile that's mellow, but full. It's got the characteristic sweetness of a bourbon with a smooth, buttery (almost toffee or caramel like) flavor before the oh so pleasant heat washes over you. It's just a little "meatier" than the 4 roses if that makes any sense.

Woodford has a good dose of rye in it and lends it a bit of a dry, spice finish. Good stuff. Old Forester is it's younger brother. Same mash bill, same distiller, Woodford is aged longer. It's kinda cool to sample them back to back to see what aging does for whiskey. At times I prefer Old Forester, other times Woodford. They both respond well to a splash of cold bottled water.

The Woodford Double Oaked has yet a little more age and is finished in yet a different barrel. A little more vanilla comes through as well as a touch smoother. It's my wife's favorite right now.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_16_03_23_c497599d7844ba2518293050368163bf.jpg

Good stuff right here. Had a taste of the 20 year last week and it was off the charts in both taste and price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Woodford has a good dose of rye in it and lends it a bit of a dry, spice finish. Good stuff. Old Forester is it's younger brother. Same mash bill, same distiller, Woodford is aged longer. It's kinda cool to sample them back to back to see what aging does for whiskey. At times I prefer Old Forester, other times Woodford. They both respond well to a splash of cold bottled water.

The Woodford Double Oaked has yet a little more age and is finished in yet a different barrel. A little more vanilla comes through as well as a touch smoother. It's my wife's favorite right now.

I do love the double oaked. It's a superb whiskey. The way I look at it though, is that even though it's better than the "normal" Woodford, it isn't so much better as to justify the extra $20 per bottle. It's a nice bottle, but more than I want to shell out for a "daily drinker" bourbon.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do love the double oaked. It's a superb whiskey. The way I look at it though, is that even though it's better than the "normal" Woodford, it isn't so much better as to justify the extra $20 per bottle. It's a nice bottle, but more than I want to shell out for a "daily drinker" bourbon.

I agree completely. It's good alright but not "more good" enough to pay the extra. My wife buys it so once in a great while I have some of it. There are a bunch of bourbons out there in the $35 and under range that work very well for the daily dose. I've grown very fond of the higher rye content bourbons. I like most of the rye whiskeys too. So yeah, it's hard to justify the hearty jump in price of the Double Oaked, IMHO.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree completely. It's good alright but not "more good" enough to pay the extra. My wife buys it so once in a great while I have some of it. There are a bunch of bourbons out there in the $35 and under range that work very well for the daily dose. I've grown very fond of the higher rye content bourbons. I like most of the rye whiskeys too. So yeah, it's hard to justify the hearty jump in price of the Double Oaked, IMHO.

The fact that you can get a really good bourbon for $35-40 is what keeps me from buying more scotch. I like to sip on a scotch with a cigar (it takes a bold cigar to stand up to bourbon), but it costs a pretty penny just to get a decent one. A "cheap" scotch like Glenmorangie is still more expensive than a good bourbon like Woodford/Four Roses/Eagle Rare/Buffalo Trace/Makers Mark.

Latest posts

Top Bottom