Help, I have an AR problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okdkranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Real problem with my Professional Ordnance Carbon 15. I put in a mag full of older Wolf and pressed the bolt release. The first round didn't chamber fully. These things don't have a forward assist and I couldn't pull out the round and open the chamber. I used a small mallet to tap on the op handle, and when that didn't budge the bolt, I used a bigger mallet. Broke the handle!
The bolt does not appear to be broken, I did manage to get the locking lugs to turn to where the bolt should move back. I poured some Kroil down the barrel and let it sit for a few days and tried to push back on the bolt with a screw driver to no avail. I have considered pounding a cleaning round down the barrel to back it out but with a live round in there, a protruding firing pin would set it off and I'm not up for that kind of action.
Any Ideas????

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your first problem is the gun itself. If the upper survives this, I will be surprised.

I would, with a brass drift, attempt to knock the bolt rearward from underneath.

okdkranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks. I've looked at that and there is room to try the drift at the top of the bolt but I thought before I tried it I would see what you AR experts thought. I really doubt that the drift will hurt the carbon fiber. This is a very early gun and the original bolt broke in half after an early extended rapid fire event not long after I bought it new. It was replaced under warrantee. The chamber has always been tight but never a problem but this is the first time I tried Wolf ammo in it.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its not really carbon fiber, its glass reinforced nylon. Carbon Fiber just sounds cooler. I also doubt the drift will hard the upper, but the stress of the whole ordeal may very well kill it, as these are not known for their strength. I have seen far more broken PO/Bushmaster Carbon 15s than I have functional ones.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have it to where the bolt can be withdrawn, just screw off the barrel nut and remove the barrel off the front...MAKE SURE it isn't cocked!

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
is it the older one with the weird stock or does it have a collapsible stock on it?

thought, if you could pull the stock/buffer tube off the back end, you could hook the bolt and try to tug it out the back.
Or, if it won't tug out, you should still have access to the hammer. You could pull the takedown pins and hold the hammer out of the way while sliding upper forward. Disassembling it as you go.
You're too far away or I'd try to help you out.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is not the safest thing to do, but it works in the field in an emergency. Remove the magazine first. Make sure you have no obstructions overhead. If you have a retractable buttstock, close it as far as you can or you may break the buttstock adjusting pin. Point the rifle straight up in the air, stand to the side and strike the buttstock on the ground. The downward inertia will usually pull the round out of the chamber and eject it. The first time I ever saw this done was with a shooter with a Garand and a stuck 30.06 case.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is not the safest thing to do, but it works in the field in an emergency. Remove the magazine first. Make sure you have no obstructions overhead. If you have a retractable buttstock, close it as far as you can or you may break the buttstock adjusting pin. Point the rifle straight up in the air, stand to the side and strike the buttstock on the ground. The downward inertia will usually pull the round out of the chamber and eject it. The first time I ever saw this done was with a shooter with a Garand and a stuck 30.06 case.

I thought of suggesting that, but this rifle would probably break in half if he tried that.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Is the rifle just like a regular AR? I'd first attempt to get the upper off the lower, you may have enough room if you get the takedown/pivot pins out.

Then I like Kurt's idea of taking the barrel off.

Or if you could get the upper off, try to break it loose with a drift from below?

Latest posts

Top Bottom