Help with a Remington 700...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Maximus-

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll buck the system here - if you've got the extra cash, I'd get a Remington 700 5R Milspec (in .308) or a 700P. Both have better barrels than the SPS line.

+1

I have the 700 5R milspec. Although..since I got it my $$ took a hit so I have yet to purchase a scope or ammo. But by October my allowance will finally be back to take care of those.

Now if I could just get some range time with ez bake for some tips.

ch1966

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought an SPS Tactical in .223.
Since then my missing dog came back, my "check engine" light went out, women have started to find me "sexy" again, I won $25 on a scratch off, and OHP gave me a warning for 10 over.
It's a great rifle and very accurate!

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They kinda half ass the action from the factory. Blueprinting puts it back into spec. They square the face of the receiver, the bolt lugs, the barrel threads so it's all strait and concentric.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think 308 Win is a good choice among other things you'll get good barrel life and you'll find accurate factory ammunition available. I don't know if you reload but if you'll be shooting a lot its probably a good idea to start learning about reloading. There is a ton of good information and components available for 308 Win. If you decide to rebarrel the action later the 308 Win bolt face is also compatible with several other popular cartridges like 243 Win and 260 Remington. The biggest part of shooting past 300yds is you the shooter.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7-08 ballistics are a bit superior to .308, and recoil is less, but the differences are not dramaic. If you are going to reload, the 7-08 is a good choice. If not, it isn't. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom