Highway Yield Signs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok folks enlighten me. I've lived in Oklahoma for 3 years now, but there's one thing I can't get used to, yield signs on the highway merge lanes. As I'm getting ready to merge on the highway...I'm looking over my left shoulder to make sure I'm clear. Next thing I know someone in front of me puts on their brakes and come to a complete stop. Everywhere I have been has merge signs in the merge lanes not yield signs. This seems like a HUGE safety issue to me. :smack:

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I totally agree with you. I know back in the day when I was stationed in Ca. the merge lanes had right of way. That makes way too much sense to me. I have had way too many close calls on on-ramps.

BoomerShooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't understand why everyone stops at a yield sign.

Heck I need to drive where you are - One thing I HATE is I've noticed Oklahoma drivers AVOID the yield sign - like there are some times when I CANT GET OVER and yet they still keep coming - so what do I do - I keep going and make sure they know I"M NOT STOPPING

It says YIELD for a reason

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that stopping at the yield signs is a huge safety issue.

If it looks like there is a long line that can't get over, I speed up to that hole in front of them if there are people behind me.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heck I need to drive where you are - One thing I HATE is I've noticed Oklahoma drivers AVOID the yield sign - like there are some times when I CANT GET OVER and yet they still keep coming - so what do I do - I keep going and make sure they know I"M NOT STOPPING

It says YIELD for a reason

Then you need to drive I-44 W and go north on the Broadway Ext interchange. Then after you witness this happen, turn around as soon as you can and take Broadway/235 south to the I-44 E interchange for round 2.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I totally agree with you. I know back in the day when I was stationed in Ca. the merge lanes had right of way. That makes way too much sense to me. I have had way too many close calls on on-ramps.

Sure doesn't sound like the California I lived in for 20 years. When you merge it is your responsibility to adjust your speed on the ramp to the traffic. The traffic will not slow down for a car coming in from an on ramp.

Many Oklahoma drivers do not know how to properly merge, get scared and stop. Then you have the ones in the right lane that will hit the breaks for an on coming car. When you are on the on-ramp push on the gas peddle.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those who care, the law is 47 O.S. § 11-703(e).

(e) The driver of a vehicle approaching a yield sign if required for safety to stop shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, in the event there is no crosswalk, at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, then at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom