Highway Yield Signs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSanDiegoKid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure doesn't sound like the California I lived in for 20 years. When you merge it is your responsibility to adjust your speed on the ramp to the traffic. The traffic will not slow down for a car coming in from an on ramp.

Many Oklahoma drivers do not know how to properly merge, get scared and stop. Then you have the ones in the right lane that will hit the breaks for an on coming car. When you are on the on-ramp push on the gas peddle.

THIS!!!!!

Merge lane is for adjusting YOUR speed to the flow of traffic then you merge when it's safe. I have found it's either fly onto the hwy completely ignoring the yield sign or coming to a complete stop at a yield sign as if it were a stop sign. If you think you can drive, go out to San Diego, you will most likely bot be able to adjust to the way traffic is supposed to flow. My wife was scared $h!tless and couldn't do it. I grew up with it so it's no problem for me.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the on-ramps and off-ramps are combined one-lanes here. I don't know who in the heck thought it was a good idea, but every one of them turns into a giant cluster during rush hour..

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its because they're wrong. Coming to a complete stop "when necessary" is the wrong thing to do when entering a freeway, unless you drive a car that can do zero to 60 in under 4 seconds.

It really is not that hard. Bank the on ramps, post them at 45mph, put a few hundred yard merge lane, and put up merge signs.

Also, getting rid of combined on/off ramps like the 169/51 interchange would do wonders for our area.

I agree stopping at an on-ramp is stupid. But blowing through the yield sign like it's not there and forcing your way into traffic is dumb as well.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess its not just me guys.....I always thought all the dumb A's were in front of me and all the idiots were behind me. I gues i'm not the only who has this problme :laugh6:

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's one thing I noticed in Texas last weekend. It seemed like the majority of drivers were already up to speed by the time the were entereing the interstate. Down here in Tulsa, not so much. It frustrates the hell out of me when I am leaving work. Almost everyday there is someone completely stopped on the on-ramp. It doesn't help that a good amount of the on ramps are way, way to short. I think the average driver gets too nervous and doesn't feel they have enough time to get to speed. Sometimes you have to know how to use some common sense and hit the damn gas.

And Oklahoma folks think Texas people drive too fast...

Texas spends some money on clover leafs and other very good OFF and ON ramps.... must be nice to have a TAX BASE that funds good infrastructure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom